How to close an atom pane with javascript?

I know you can close a pane with TextEditor.destroy() but this loses unsaved changes in the pane. How can I mimic the tab close button with javascript? I want the “lose unsaved changes” popup to appear as normal.

The following bit of Coffeescript code in my INIT file
closes all panes and asks when to save the file when needed:

# ****************************************************
#  CLOSE ALL OPEN TABS .. REGARDLESS IF IN SEVERAL PANES
# ****************************************************
closeAllTabs: () ->
  console.log 'Close all panes.'  # debug
  _panes = atom.workspace.getPanes()  # grab object representing all items in panes
  _pane.destroy() for _pane in _panes  # not all items can close; tree-view / dev-tools / ++ is kept open
  return true  # confirm to caller: no need to abort action

Interesting. So it looks like pane.destroy() will prompt the user but TextEditor.destroy() will not.

In that case, does anyone know how to get a pane instance from a TextEditor instance?

How about atom.workspace.getActivePane()?

What if the pain ain’t active tho? My script knows the file path and the TextEditor instance but it may not be the active tab.

So how originally would the TextEditor object be created in the first place?
Can the same concept not be used to create a Pane object?

Ah! The Pane.activeItem was the key to solving this. I wrote a function which gets a Pane or a TextEditor instance when given a file path. I can use this now to fine the pane instance and destroy that rather than the text editor. Here’s the function for future googlers!

function  instanceFromFilePath( pathFromRoot, returnEditor ){
	for (pane of atom.workspace.getPanes()){
		var editor = pane.activeItem
		if(editor.constructor.name!="TextEditor") continue
		if(editor.getPath().replace(atom.project.getPaths()[0],'').split('\\').join('/')==pathFromRoot) return returnEditor ? editor : pane
	}
}
//sample use:
console.log(instanceFromFilePath('/myfile.txt'))   //returns the Pane containing myfile.txt
console.log(instanceFromFilePath('/myfile.txt',1))   //returns the TextEditor containing myfile.txt

Thanks for the help danPatric!