How to call external tools and use windowed (non-console) result

Hi,

I’m starting to create a TFS (Team Foundation Version Control) package, and to do so, I use tf.exe console application. I’m using child_process.spawn to call it, but doing so, the result is always the console interface, instead of the visual. For instance, when I do

command = 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\Common7\\IDE\\tf.exe'
args = ["history", filePath]
history = spawn(command, args)

I can get the results with

history.stdout.on "data", (data) ->
  console.log "stdout: " + data

But, in this case (history argument), I would like to show the visual interface that tf.exe provides, instead of intercepting the stdout and doing it myself inside Atom.

The history argument has a /noprompt parameter, but I’m not using it.

I don’t know if this is possible (call windowed app using child_process) or if I should use another API. I’m sorry, but my experience with js/cs/node is basically from using and developing small packages for Atom :smile:

Thanks in advance

There are various Atom packages with “console” or “term” in their names, and these would allow you to do this on Unix. But whether it works on Windows, I don’t know. Maybe you can search the package listing for these packages and then see if any one says it works on Windows.

This looks relevant:

And this looks interesting, though I don’t know whether it works on Windows:

Does this help?

Thanks @kgrossjo,

I dig a little on available packages, and on these two that you posted, but unfortunately none have what I’m looking :disappointed_relieved:.

I will try a little bit more, and post here if I have success. Otherwise, I will have to learn how to use List Group or Select List, but then the package should take a bit longer to be published :smile:.

Thanks again

Hi @kgrossjo,

I was wrong, and the https://atom.io/packages/visualstudio-terminals package had the solution. I just ignored one parameter on exec call, that at first sight, appeared to be unnecessary :smile: .

So, doing like below, worked perfectly:

folder = path.dirname(filePath)
cmdline = "\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\Common7\\IDE\\tf.exe\" history \"#{filePath}\" "
exec "start \"history tfs\" " + cmdline, cwd: folder

The parameter that I ignored was \"history tfs\" that is the title to display in window title bar,

Thanks again for your help

Hi,

Any progress with the TFS package - would be great to interact with TFS via Atom.

Cheers,
Chris