How does one go about doing a complete uninstall of atom on Linux/Xubuntu

I would like to do a complete uninstall of atom off of my hard drive and reinstall atom onto a USB 3.0 thumb drive.

My first attempt at moving the files to the USB didn’t allow atom to open and for some reason there were files that I had erased from my ~HOME dir that were re written back to the .atom file.
I was unable to find the folder that contains the ATOM_HOME path that I need to redirect to the new location of atom.
Any insight into this matter would be greatly appreciated!!

When you open Atom and it can’t find all of the files it needs, it creates .atom/ as if opened for the first time.

I was unable to find the folder that contains the ATOM_HOME path that I need to redirect to the new location of atom.

You don’t need to do this if you set it up in portable mode, which is what you want to do.

That’s what I’m the process of doing right now or I should say I’m going through the trial and error process of doing. After completely removing Atom from my hard drive I loaded it to a USB 3.1 and placed it into my /media/removable/usb_drive. Now I’m running into an issue of the Atom exe not loading. Any idea’s on why that would be happening??

How did you download the version of Atom that’s currently on your USB?

I downloaded this version atom-amd64.tar.gz from atom/atom off of the Github site and used Xarchiver to unpack it to my USB

Hmm. I don’t see anything amiss with what you’ve told me, and I don’t know if there’s a way for me to emulate your environment enough to walk through it and see if I get a different result. Have you double-checked that the atom file is executable?

What happens if you do the same thing, but with Atom on your hard drive instead of the USB?