How do you deal with conflicting bindings?

I recently installed atom-runner, but it uses cmd-r as it’s main keybinding. This conflicts with the default cmd-r keybinding which searches for symbols.

I’ve tried configuring my keymap.cson, but no dice.

# keymap.cson

'editor':
  'cmd-r': 'symbols-view:toggle-file-symbols'

'editor':
  'ctrl-r': 'runner:run'

Any suggestions?

Your scope is just missing a period. editor should be .editor :wink:

Woops! Good catch, but it still doesn’t work :\

Darn! I’m not sure then… Maybe try looking in the Keybinding Resolver (Command+.) and see if something else is taking precedence?

I installed atom-runner today and ran into the same problem. The package’s keymap scope is so specific that it’s overriding our shallow .editor rules.

I added this to my keymap.cson to get it to work properly.

'.platform-darwin .workspace .editor':
  'cmd-r': 'symbols-view:toggle-file-symbols'
  'ctrl-r': 'runner:run'

Ah that makes sense, thanks!

I frequently have similar situations, where I want to override or completely disabled a shortcut for a feature that I don’t use from a particular Package.
To completely disable a shortcut for now I resort to editing the original package keybindings. This off course isn’t ideal because any package update will break those changes.

How do you deal with this?

In the Keymaps documentation, under “Removing Bindings”:

If you want to remove a binding from a keymap you don’t control, such as keymaps in Atom core or in packages, use the unset! directive.

@leedohm is overwriting package key binding still only option(except overwriting package keybiding directly) how to resolve conflicts?

Yes, it is currently the only option. Do you have a suggestion for another system?

I wrote a couple of suggestions here