How do I stop Sublime Text from Overriding Atom

I installed Atom, and later installed Sublime Text, now I’m having issues.

I installed Atom, built some projects, and later on I downloaded a p5.js zip-folder. When I downloaded the zip, Atom automatically populated the files into the IDE, which I did not like this feature and would like to know how to disable it? Those files were never intended to go into Atom.

A couple days later, I downloaded and installed Sublime Text. I made the mistake of dragging a portion of the same p5.js folder that earlier populated into Atom, into Sublime Text. I noticed that I would change the code in Sublime Text and it would affect the code in Atom and vice versa.

I had built some projects previously in Atom before the Sublime Text installation. Since installing Sublime Text, folders in my Documents area that I saved my Atom projects to, used to have green folder icons with a white atom-logo on them. All those files have lost they’re green color and atom-logo. Now the folders have a black square over them; maybe the black square is indigenous to Sublime Text. Now, when I open these Atom project folders in Documents, it automatically opens up Sublime Text, and it opens the Atom files in the Sublime Text IDE.

Also with installing Sublime Text, I had to set up a build system for JavaScript, where I had to build a file path that stemmed from Node. Could this possibly have interfered with the Atom file path in some way? I’m on a Mac OS X operating system. How can I fix this?

Here is the build system I built for Sublime Text:

{
“cmd”: ["/usr/local/bin/node", “$file”],
“selector”: “source.js”
}

Do you think I could do something with source.js? I would imagine anything that is “xx_Any_File_In_Here_xx”.js may be seen by Sublime Text. Could I use something like /Users/myName/Documents/SublimeText/“source.js” ?? Would something like this make Sublime Text only look at what is inside it’s own directory? Thanks.

Atom is not an IDE (though you can make it look kind of like one) and it doesn’t populate files “into” anything. What it does is show you the folder that contains the file you open, because most of the time, one code file is in the same folder as other code files. You can hide that sidebar if you want.

These files live on your hard drive where they were to begin with, not in any folder monopolized by either editor. Any program that can access and change them will affect how they appear in Atom, because unmodified files in the editor update whenever the file on disk changes.

Now, when I open these Atom project folders in Documents, it automatically opens up Sublime Text, and it opens the Atom files in the Sublime Text IDE.

There are plenty of articles online about how to change the default program that OS X uses to open a file, like this one.

Also with installing Sublime Text, I had to set up a build system for JavaScript, where I had to build a file path that stemmed from Node. Could this possibly have interfered with the Atom file path in some way?

No, it would not.

Thanks for your reply @DamnedScholar. I hope the title of this thread is not misleading; the title should read: Selecting Default Editor, and this is the perfect video for half my thoughts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMpYa5WZUTg

I still have my Icon issue. I think I have seen some other threads that may be talking about what I’m experiencing. Here is a screen shot to illustrate the before and after installation of Sublime. Changing the default editor has not affected the black square icons; the Atom icon did not return, so is this black square icon normal?

As you can see in the video, the black square icon is normal for Sublime. That’s a visual indicator that the file is supposed to open in Sublime. What do they actually open in?

Well, I have tried Atom & Xcode as default editors and it has not yet affected the icons. I still have the SublimeText black square icons. The video does show a variance of one of his .rb files that keeps the red icon, and the other files turned into the black square icon of SublimeText. What dictates the variance of icon behavior?

Searching the Internet for the answer suggests that restarting Finder may be necessary.

I’ve done the Relaunch Finder & the Force Quit Finder. I did not try the killall Finder Terminal command. A tutorial I watched said all three do the same thing, and I tried the two, one after the other, and it did not work.
I’ve heard clearing the caches has worked for others. When I generate new projects in Atom the icons are the Sublime Text black squares. I’m thinking has something to do with the fact that I downloaded Sublime last. I decided to clear the caches. I watched each of these techniques and it removed all the icons between both text editors.

I’m curious if anyone disagrees with these cache removing techniques? And why?

Now to figure out how to get the icons back or generate new ones if ever? I wonder if something like an update when Atom offers the next will fix it?