sh-3.2# ls -l
total 464
-r--------  1 root  staff  235125 Aug 27 22:35 ShipIt_stderr.log
-rw-r--r--  1 mp    staff       0 Aug 27 22:22 ShipIt_stdout.log
sh-3.2# ls -l
total 464
-r--------  1 root  staff  235755 Aug 27 22:35 ShipIt_stderr.log
-rw-r--r--  1 mp    staff       0 Aug 27 22:22 ShipIt_stdout.log

What exactly is the point of running as root and writing on a readonly file owned by root? And how do I find this ghost of a service? It’s nowhere! No running process that I can detect, no launchctl entry, nothing containing ‘shipit’ in / yet I still get these spammy errors in console and it keeps recreating the directory and writing to that file no matter what I do to it. What is this succubus of a software you’re building?

Just FYI: I tried everything I found on the topic via google. No permission change, install/reinstall of Atom, reboot, deleting any and all files related to Atom makes this madness stop. This is insane.

I have never seen that name associated with Atom.

Okay, here we go. Looks like there’s some sort of compatibility issue with Squirrel (Atom’s auto-updating system) for Mac. I believe the Atom-Mac.zip release just contains the Atom binary, so you can use it without installing the update system.

Hi,

Sounds good but I don’t think I was given an option to forgo the auto update mechanism. I just copied the .app to /Applications and ran it.

In any case, how do I get rid of the rodent? Any idea where it is? How it keeps coming back at every reboot? Its process name? I have only been in this situation with malware on windows. Generally on unix you can find processes.

Did you follow through to the first link that @DamnedScholar supplied?
Perhaps there you will find guys being able to expertly help.

Repeated from above -
Title: Squirrel.framework 0.3.1 contains ShipIt binary 0.3.0
Link: https://github.com/Squirrel/Squirrel.Mac/issues/212

You could build Atom from source. On Windows, that doesn’t include Squirrel, so it probably doesn’t include Squirrel on Mac, either.

@DamnedScholar that sounds great, I’ll try to use the standalone release from now on. I’ll try to post an issue in the Squirrel repo, see where that gets me.

@danPadric my bad, did not notice ‘here we go’ was a link initially. Other than pointing me to the right repo, that’s not quite related to my issue. I get the same 2017-08-28 18:26:05.742 ShipIt[19418:22262011] Missing launchd job label for ShipIt as mentioned, but that’s not a fix in itself nor does it help me track down what launchd job is actually calling ShipIt repeatedly (every 2 seconds to be exact).

Here’s what I did, in case someone else has to deal with the daemon from hell: I put back an older Atom.app in /Applications. I then checked for updates (because I turned off auto-updates), and found .4, updated to it. Stopped atom, and fired up AppCleaner, dragged atom to it, selected all, removed them, emptied trash. Then I also rm -rf ~/.atom (which by the way if you didn’t know trashes all your plugins, settings, customization, whatever). The messages stopped.

This means the executable was being called from either ~/.atom or /Applications/Atom.app, I still don’t know which one that is, or what its name is, but it’s definitely not ShipIt nor anything squirrel, and I still have no idea what kind of service kept on running the task every 2 seconds. I just know that I got it to stop finally.

Now looking into compiling Atom by myself, and removing that auto-updater because it doesn’t know how to play nice with macOS 10.12.6.

Thank you for all the help guys!

I believe all macOS versions come with auto updater. There’s a few issues with Squirrel, most notably when your account is not an Administrator. I believe that’s when it starts to “spam” the stderr/stdout logs, because it keeps retrying the update and failing with permission errors. Thankfully, those issues have been fixed upstream, and Atom will pick them up eventually.

Can’t wait! :slight_smile: