How do I delete a file/folder permanently in atom tree-view without moving to trash

Atom tree-view provides a context menu option which helps me to remove files/folders, but it moves files/folders to trash instead of delete it, then I have to empty my trash. I’d like a option to delete files/folders, not move things to trash.

I’m using Atom in Windows 10 64-bit, thanks.

Originally, we had an option like that. People would accidentally use it and be upset that they couldn’t get their data back. Because of this, we decided that it wasn’t worth it to have a permanent delete option in Atom. If you would like to implement something like that in a package of your own, please do so :grinning:

You’re right, I need to create a package my own.
But I have a little suggest, the current “Delete” option, should it be named “Move to Trash” instead?

It is standard in OSs such as windows and Mac to use the term Delete when it is actually moved to the trash. I mentally consider things in the trash as deleted.

Is your disk too small? Is that why you are concerned about the trash? Files in software projects are usually small compared to disks. I have been “deleting” things for two years in Atom and I forget it is there. I’ve never emptied it.

@khai96_ have you made such a package? I would also like my files to be deleted from disk by the workspace tree. Recovery is what version control is for :slight_smile:

@khai96_ @ErikAGriffin I made such a package a while ago. It’s called permanent-delete

You guys should reconsider bringing that back. Some of us work on removable media that doesn’t support recycling bins.

https://github.com/atom/tree-view/issues/856

Network drives to not support moving to trash. For example on MacOS the app Transmit by Panic is popular.

This is the only way to access remote files with Atom for me.

Extremely bad idea. Contributing developers can use git repositories to back up their work. Incompetence cannot become a reason to add obstacles to open-source development tools.

I guess I’m one of the zillion other incompetent devs out there then based on mirage335 view of the world.

I use Atom within my arch linux vm, but I use a media share with virtualbox for a drive for my code. Move to trash fails. Perhaps I can spend time monkeying a config to fix this but meh. Just would be nice to have a few more niceties directly in the editor and not have to jump into term for a silly rm command - but no big deal. Every millisec is dev productivity time though so this is annoying imho.

Would be really nice just to have a permanent delete next to the trash button on the dialogue.