How can I contribute to Atom?

Hi,

I’m not a programmer (in fact, I frequently ask for help here and at Atom’s GitHub repository related to minor customizations of Atom that require me to edit a cson file, due to my unfamiliarity with the cson format), but I am a Linux user with experience using and packaging for a variety of different distributions (specifically Arch Linux, Fedora, Gentoo Linux, openSUSE and Sabayon) and writing documentation for Linux (e.g., see my personal site on Linux, The Hornery), and I would like to do whatever I can to advance and aid with the development of Atom.

Thanks for your time,
Brenton

There’s a ton of stuff that could be documented or documented better. You can check out https://github.com/atom/flight-manual.atom.io and its Issues to see what people have asked for. Or just add documentation around things you’ve learned or been curious about :grinning:

Other than that, you can take a look at things with the label needs-reproduction on the various Atom repositories. What we’re looking for with that are steps to reproduce a problem (or if repro steps are already provided, verifying that those steps are correct). You can find more information about what makes good repro steps in the CONTRIBUTING guide and there’s an article I wrote on my blog about them.

There are other suggestions in the CONTRIBUTING guide as well. I hope that’s enough to get you started!

I just completed a blog post entitled “Running Atom on Linux”. The problem with the flight manual, though, is that to me it seems like conciseness is given more importance than completeness. I am best at writing complete guides instead of concise guides.

One of the things that I enjoy about open source work is that it has really driven home for me the meaning of the adage, “Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good.” If all people have time for is concise, we’d rather have that than nothing at all. If you want to write complete guides, feel free … we’ll be happy to include that too.