How can I ask permission to pack Atom for the Windows Store

I think that Atom would make an awesome candidate for the Windows Store, so I want to put it in there. However, I feel like I should ask permission. How should I go about this? I thought about submitting a GitHub issue, but those are clearly meant for actual bugs. Should I submit a pull request, or what?

GitHub issues are also used for feature requests and general discussion. If your suggestion has merit, the devs won’t have a problem with it.

The important question that you need to have a ready answer for is whether or not Windows Store participation would require something that isn’t already in place in the GitHub. Atom installs into a weird folder in AppData/; would the Windows Store be okay with that?

Hm. Will need to do research. But thanks!

Since Atom is open-source, it’s absolutely no problem to redistribute it as long as you preserve the licensing. If you are able to load Atom’s binary into the Windows Store with just the material from the GitHub, you don’t have to ask anybody. I don’t see the developers agreeing with you if Windows Store participation requires ongoing dev team time, but if there are one-time changes, they might be willing to collaborate.

Note that as usage of the Atom logo and name follow the GitHub logos policy (as they are trademarks of GitHub), it’s unlikely you would be able to publish it on the Windows store under those trademarks.

IANAL though :wink:.

There’s a model for Atom being distributed through a non-official channel, in the Arch User Repository version. The devs have made it clear that non-official channels aren’t fully supported because they don’t have the time and expertise to maintain every distribution channel that people might want to use, but the door has definitely been left open for people (particularly Linux users looking for PPA or AUR support) to set up unofficial channels.

For best ass-covering, a Windows Store app should have “(This is not an official distribution.)” and a link to the web site in the description and the name of the publisher should be the user or group maintaining the distribution (not anything that would make an end user think that it was officially published by GitHub).

I am also not a lawyer. I just don’t see a fundamental difference between AUR and the Windows Store except that the latter offers the potential to set a price tag, which might cause GitHub to send an email to Microsoft to put a stop to that.