Highlighting prose sentences

I’m using Atom only for writing prose: how could I highlight a sentence in a specific color or by making it bold? Would this even be possible without writing it as some form of code?

Also, how could I make Atom start directly in the full screen mode (without the top menu being visible)?

Thanks!!!

You can give a look at the markdown syntax. And the included markdown preview.
To keep source and preview in sync while scrolling, I find this package useful

Would this even be possible without writing it as some form of code?

One has to tell the machine the formatting you want and save it with the text. So some syntax for that is expected.

Word editor hide it from you. Text editor will show you the whole picture. Markdown is relatively readable.

Also, how could I make Atom start directly in the full screen mode (without the top menu being visible)?

I’m not sure about automatically starting. Some package like https://atom.io/packages/zen provide a minimalist view for writing.

Thanks! I guess I’m using the text editor as if it were Word, so I’d not use a markdown preview, since what’s in the editor is for me the end result, if that makes any sense. So if I want to make a specific sentence in the editor bold I could write it as a comment:

/*
Bold sentence.
*/

by inserting

atom-text-editor::shadow .comment {
  font-weight: bold;
 }

into the style.less. But that makes the /* prose */ look a bit silly. Would it maybe be possible to apply this to text within these {} brackets? or []?

I’m just trying to find equivalents for the standard prose formatting in Word.

Hmm. I see no reason why a word-like editor couldn’t be created in a package. It wouldn’t have syntax highlighting, just highlighting specified by the user. It could be very basic with simple settings going to CSS.

Edit: Now that I think about it, exporting to a useful format would be the hardest part.

Yes, I am already using the Zen package. I’m just not sure how to proceed about highlighting specific sentences or words

What it sounds like you’re looking for is a rich-text editor. A rich-text editor is an editor that allows you to format arbitrary blocks of text as bold, italic, colors, change font face or size, etc. Atom isn’t designed as a rich-text editor. It does use all of those formatting techniques, but as “syntax highlighting”, a technique for highlighting predetermined, not arbitrary, structures in text.

Would you want to export the highlighted text to a file or is this highlighting just for use when editing?

Edit: If exporting is desired then what format would you want?