Hide unnecessary tab over treeview in Version 1.17?

1.17 appears to have introduced a tab over the treeview - while there was none in 1.16. Does anyone know what purpose this tab serves? It seems to take up unnecessary screen real estate. Can it be hidden?

Yes. This, and the little panel/dock tab that slides in/out on focus of treeview.

Both of these additions are features of the new docks system that was introduced in 1.17.0.

Can it be turned off or removed? It has a number of annoying side effects:

• The tree view pane now takes focus. For example, I have a tool bar button bound to “build-tools” and I link it to my ant build.xml file. I used to be able to run a build task from anywhere, but if I have clicked on the tree view it retains focus which is out of scope of the build tool, so no menu of tasks shows up. I have to click in an edit window and try again.

• It takes up unnecessary space on the screen. This is not a big deal but is not what I’m used to seeing, Also, it always says “Project”, so it seems kind of pointless.

• Because it takes focus the word “Project” gets displayed on the application title bar (on Windows anyway). If you have a couple of Atom instances open this makes it hard to determine which one you were just editing (especially as Windows has a habit of rearranging the order of things in the task bar).

How are you defining this button, for the tool bar package?

It takes up unnecessary space on the screen. This is not a big deal but is not what I’m used to seeing, Also, it always says “Project”, so it seems kind of pointless.

It does seem pointless, but I suspect that the future will contain more dock items and more informative tabs. In the mean time, you can nix that element by putting the following in your styles.less:

atom-dock .tab-bar {
  display: none;
}

Because it takes focus the word “Project” gets displayed on the application title bar (on Windows anyway). If you have a couple of Atom instances open this makes it hard to determine which one you were just editing (especially as Windows has a habit of rearranging the order of things in the task bar).

This is a more serious issue that I bet the devs didn’t notice. It seems like it should be a simple matter of telling Atom to treat dock tab titles differently from pane tab titles.

I’m using the flex-tool-bar package and the button is configured to use the callback “build-tools:commands”.

And thanks for the style tip - that does the job nicely!

Okay, try this. In init.coffee, add the following:

atom.commands.add 'atom-workspace', 'custom:build-tools-wrapper', ->
  atom.commands.dispatch document.querySelector('atom-text-editor'), 'build-tools:commands'

Then change the command in flex-tool-bar to custom:build-tools-wrapper and let me know if it works for you.

Ah! A cunning plan, but it didn’t work - I get the same behaviour as before (i.e. if the tree view has focus then the build tools commands do not display).

Bizarre. In that case, it’s beyond my ability to troubleshoot or outwit and the only solution is to manually click on the text editor before using that command, until/unless the devs tweak the docks so that they don’t take focus in that way.

Well I can live with that! I know that docks are a new thing so I’m sure they’re due for a bit of a shake down. Thanks for your help!

If that tab that shows up when you hover over the tree view annoys you as much as it does for me, you can add this to your stylesheet as well:

.atom-dock-toggle-button-visible {
}

Here’s the only thing that I could figure out:

In your “init.coffee” file (user folder > .atom > init.coffee)

# Your init script
# ... etc ...

projElem = document.querySelector('[data-type="TreeView"]')
projElem.parentNode.style.display = "none"

Project Title in Tree View Tab (help wanted)

You might find it more convenient to use my CSS-based answer above.

The CSS method hides all tabs – including your open pages.

The init.coffee method targets just the project panel. While I would prefer a pure CSS solution, CSS doesn’t allow selecting a parent from a child selector (we’re lucky to have the [data-type"TreeView"] that noly exists in the project panel).

If there’s anyone on the Atom team, it would be nice to have more handles (like data-type’s) so we can CSS selector them.

No, it only hides tabs in docks. You can further refine it to only hide tabs in the left dock with

atom-dock.left .tab-bar {
}

The init.coffee method targets just the project panel.

Since the introduction of docks in 1.17, the tree view has lived in a dock item, not a panel. That’s why it has a tab now (it was a panel previously).

Nice. Sheesh, I spent a good 2 hours looking for unique handles to the “projects” pane. I was looking too far down the node tree…

I finally gave up and went the coffee script way after banging my head against the wall. (This thread’s original CSS code(s) applied to all tabs.)

Nice work with the “.left” – maybe I should change my name to boob1.

@DamnedScholar : Thank you for volunteering Bob some of your time.

@bob1: (smile) Instead of name calling, let’s take another approach…
Bob - Good to meet you. Welcome!

Feel free to … return with more questions;
or to pay it forward with answering someone’s question,
or even to give @DamnedScholar a well deserving LIKE.

I changed it to

atom-dock.left .tab-bar .tab:only-child {
}

That way it will only hide the tab if the tree-view is the only dock item.

screenshot