Help with custom ex-mode command

I’d like to register a new command with ex-mode, for example ‘ga’, that runs ‘git-plus:add’ on the given file. However, I don’t quite understand how to reference the ‘git-plus’ package given the example provided by ‘ex-mode’: The example is:

# in Atom's init.coffee
atom.packages.onDidActivatePackage (pack) ->
  if pack.name == 'ex-mode'
    Ex = pack.mainModule.provideEx()
    Ex.registerCommand 'z', -> console.log("Zzzzzz...")

I’ve tried:
# in Atom’s init.coffee
atom.packages.onDidActivatePackage (pack) ->
if pack.name == ‘ex-mode’
Ex = pack.mainModule.provideEx()
Ex.registerCommand ‘ga’, -> ‘git-plus:add’

With the intention that when I type the sequence ‘:ga’, it will run the add command from git-plus. What would this snippet need to look like in order for it to have the desired effect?

This translates into JavaScript when Atom compiles your config files and packages like so:

Ex.registerCommand('ga', function() { 'git-plus:add' })

This is valid JavaScript, and it technically matches the specifications of the variables that ex-mode is looking for (a string and a function). This is why you don’t see an error message. However, the function you have written returns a string, whereas the function in the example returns a call to another function (which then gets run because your atom.packages.onDidActivatePackage instruction will follow your code until it runs out of things to run).

This is what you need instead:

Ex.registerCommand 'ga', -> atom.commands.dispatch(atom.workspace.getActiveTextEditor().element, 'git-plus:add')

The atom.commands API interacts with the command names used by keybindings and the Command Palette. The parentheses for dispatch() are unnecessary, but I included them to make it easier to read.

Great! Thanks for the very helpful explanation. This is exactly what I needed and helped me get a better understanding of how this works.

No problem. I’ve been through all of that territory in recent memory.