Help needed with custom grammar -- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

I’m thinking of dropping Sublime and using Atom. One of the things that would prevent me from doing this would be the lack of a custom grammar that I have in Sublime, so I converted it to Atom, and it works great. Until it doesn’t.

I have absolutely no idea why, but sometimes it simply stops working for a specific file. Once it does, I haven’t been able to figure out how to “restart” it again with that file. I can copy and paste the content into a new file, though, and it works fine. The files are identical (I checked with md5sum). And then at some point…the new file stops working.

I’ve tried:

• many, many restarts of Atom (quit and restart)
  • switching the grammar to plain text and then back to the custom grammar
  • remove all but a handful of lines from the file
  • taking the grammar down to a single, simple/simplistic match
  • checking the Dev Tools console for errors (there were none)

I’m about ready to rip my hair out. I don’t even know how to begin to figure this out. I really, really like Atom, but I can’t use it without this custom grammar. Any help would be greatly appreciated – thanks!

Is it one specific file, or is this happening for multiple files?

Multiple files. And like I said, once it stops working for a given file, I can’t figure out how to get it to start working again. It is completely bizarre.

I forgot to include version info in my original post, sorry:

Atom : 1.23.3
Electron: 1.6.15
Chrome : 56.0.2924.87
Node : 7.4.0

apm 1.18.12
npm 3.10.10
node 6.9.5 x64
atom 1.23.3
python 2.7.10
git 2.15.1

Also, I did try to use safe mode to test this, but I couldn’t then figure out how to load my grammar in safe mode, so that wasn’t helpful. I manually disabled all other extensions (I had three, including my grammar), and that didn’t help.

You can use API calls like this to manually add the active file as a grammar (the file has to be saved first). Note that you have to paste this code into the dev tools console, because safe mode prevents init.coffee from loading.

editor = atom.workspace.getActiveTextEditor();
atom.grammars.loadGrammarSync(editor.getPath());

And the CoffeeScript version, which I keep in my init.coffee for testing grammars without having to reload Atom:

atom.commands.add 'atom-text-editor', 'custom:load-active-editor-as-grammar', ->
    editor = atom.workspace.getActiveTextEditor()
    atom.grammars.loadGrammarSync(editor.getPath())

I’m interested in seeing if it happens with safe mode on, as well.

I tried it in safe mode with no change. I even did a screen cast if you want to see it (quite boring, but you can verify that I’m not doing anything stupid, perhaps):

atom-grammar.mov

Any other ideas? Thank you very much for the help!

Also, I’ve tried the following:

• replicated it on another machine (also a Mac)
  • validated the CSON file with a lint package, both linter-coffeelint and linter-coffeescript; one said it was OK, the other complained about lines over 80 characters (my regex’s are long, but no line is longer than 145 characters)

There’s something about the particular file in question: it’s very, very long. When Atom sees an especially long file, it chooses to not perform the same highlighting because keeping all of that code highlighted slows Atom way down.

I didn’t realize that was a limitation. In looking into it from that angle, I noticed:

Syntax highlighting conditionally works on super-long HTML file #11232

But that seems to say that the 2 MB limited is no longer there. I did have a single very long line in the file (6000+ characters) but even removing that, it doesn’t work. I also tried removing lines until it was well under 2 MB and that didn’t help. Reverting to the original, I deleted every line > 280 characters (mentioned as another limitation in the above issue) with no luck. My last attempt was to do all of those things: the resulting file was under 2 MB (1.9 MB), with the longest line being 263 characters, and the total # of lines being 15571, still with no syntax highlighting.

Is this a bug that should be reported? Or is this just a known limitation with the current state?

Thanks!

It’s a known limitation. I don’t know what the current limit is, but that’s controlled by the dev team and I imagine has been tweaked over time to figure out the best measure of performance versus attractiveness.

I suspect that if Atom has decided to ignore a file, it has to be prompted to make that decision again. If you delete almost all of the lines in a big file, Atom isn’t going to suddenly start highlighting that file because it has decided that it shouldn’t monitor changes in that file due to the size of the file.

I did quit and restart after every change. Do I need to switch to “plain text” and back again in addition to quitting and restarting?

Thanks for the help with this! I’ll check back with Atom in a few releases.

Atom remembers open files when you close it, as well as many things that it has determined about those files (like how far you’ve scrolled down). I believe that closing and opening a file should do the job. When Atom loads a “new” file below its internal limit, it should behave correctly regardless of whether the file used to be bigger.