Help in integrate Atom in a desktop app

Hello,

Maybe my question is not relevant, but let me try.

First I apologize for my bad english.

I’m developing mainly with Atom and love this editor. I use Wakanda to do all my backend coding because it is really efficient to build business logic with this tool. My problem is that they integrate ACE editor in their platform. I really wish to integrate Atom as the default editor in my Wakanda application. I’m sure it is possible because Wakanda is mainly open source and I was able to find the code of the ACE editor.

Now, the main difference is that ACE is a web based editor where Atom need to run with nodeJS. Wakanda is a desktop platform which embed a web area where they integrate easily ACE.

I think this could be relative to electron.

Are there anyone who could point me the right direction how to integrate Atom inside my Wakanda Application?

Is it something only a advanced developer could do or does my request seems possible?

I’m working on a Mac.

This could be awesome to do that.

Thanks in advance for the one who could help.

It may or may not be possible. That would depend on Wakanda, and you should ask in the Wakanda community if anyone has ideas about integrating with an editor that isn’t Ace. What you can’t do is simply drop Atom in where Ace was. Atom is way bigger than Ace and contains far more than just the editor component.

I think this could be relative to electron.

It’s not.

Are there anyone who could point me the right direction how to integrate Atom inside my Wakanda Application?

Not inside, no, but you could have them communicate. You could create an Atom package that receives messages from Wakanda and controls certain features of Atom, but you would also have to add code to Wakanda to get it to talk to Atom.

Is it something only a advanced developer could do or does my request seems possible?

It seems possible, but is something that only someone who knows how Wakanda is structured really well would be able to pull off.

Thanks for the feedback, I have already start a discussion in the Wakanda Gitter channel. I will come back here if I need help from the Atom community.

The Atom editor component isn’t designed to be packaged within other applications currently. There are some efforts to extract just the editor component into something more like ACE but we don’t have an ETA for when that work will be complete. Until that happens, integrating Atom the way that you’re suggesting will be very, very hard to do.