Help! gpp-compiler is not working

I Installed Atom and XCode a couple days ago, I downloaded gpp-compiler as a package to compile c++ code. I have tried to right click the tab and press f5 and f6 multiple times but I get absolutely nothing, was there something I missed?

What do you get when you type which gcc g++ into the Terminal?

Is there a terminal on atom that I would type this into? If so, how would I go about opening it?

OS X has a program called Terminal, that provides you with access to the system’s command line. I don’t know where it is in modern installations, but it shouldn’t be hard to find.

Oh ok I’m dumb, it gave me /usr/bin/gcc and the next line /usr/bin/g++

Okay. There are a few possibilities.

1. The key is getting intercepted (this seems unlikely, but it’s a possibility). You can open the Keybinding Resolver (Packages -> Keybinding Resolver -> Toggle) and press f5 to see what comes up. The first result should be gpp-compiler:compile. If it’s not at the top of the list and colored green, then that’s what’s wrong.
  2. The command is going off correctly, but the file isn’t saved as .c or .cpp, so gpp-compiler has no idea what to do with it.
  3. The command is going off correctly and the file is of the correct type, but gpp-compiler is sending the wrong message. You can identify if this is happening by reconstructing the command that gpp-compiler should be sending. The package has a lot of debug() calls, and according to the code, each of those is sending information to the console. So you should be able to see in a decent amount of detail what’s being sent by opening the developer tools (View -> Developer -> Toggle Developer Tools) and watching the messages that pop up after you hit the key. If you provide a screenshot of this, I can give you more information about what you’re seeing.

Yeah I’m really dumb, it was the combination of keys I was supposed to press, thank you so much!

I just wanted to humbly add my own dumb move here as well in case anyone else runs into the same problem. Remember that if you include a . in your file name gpp-compiler registers it as the beginning of the file extension. I had a file named checkpoint_7.4.cpp which registered as checkpoint_7 with file extension .4.cpp which naturally, gpp-compiler had no idea what to do with. No error message, just horrible silence. A cautionary tale indeed.