Help create a command that removes "bold" style in markdown or rST without selection

I would like such a command that removes “**” around a piece of text in markdown or restructuredText **without" selecting the text.

For example, your cursor is side a piece of bold text **bold|text**, where ‘|’ marks the position of the cursor. I want a script that checks within a short distance to the cursor (say 20 characters) if there is any “**”. If so, remove them, so I do not need to select the whole text to remove the bold style.

I can toggle bold with selection, as the following, but I don’t know how to remove bold without selection.

atom.commands.add 'atom-text-editor', 'rst:bold-selection', -> # Defines a command to work within the TextEditor.
  return unless editor = atom.workspace.getActiveTextEditor() # Get the active editor object and also return immediately if something goes wrong and there's no active text editor.

selection = editor.getLastSelection() # Get the most recent selection.
  text = selection.getText() # A selection is an object with a bunch of information attached, so we need to get the text from it

if text.startsWith("**") && text.endsWith("**")
    selection.insertText(text.substring(2, text.length - 2), {select: true})
  else
    selection.insertText("**" + selection.getText() + "**", {select: true})   # insertText() replaces the whole selection. The options argument makes sure that the resulting text is selected.

Do you also want it to bold the single word if it’s not already bold?

Thanks, not necessarily. For example

**bold t|ext** (| is cursor)

I want the script to explore the vicinity of the cursor a little bit (say 20 characters to the left and to the right). If they find “**” on both sides, then remove them. If there isn’t, just give up.

It’s possible to check the scope for bold directly. Is that better?

That would also be very helpful. Thanks!

This should be a good starting point. It can be extended to check if a selection has been made, and if so do the original behaviour.

It doesn’t handle multiline bold properly either, so that could be improved. It does make sure it only removes ** though, so it won’t do totally crazy stuff with multiline bold.

I know yours was in CoffeeScript, so you’ll have to translate this if you want to stick with it.

atom.commands.add('atom-text-editor', 'rst:bold-selection', () => {
  let editor = atom.workspace.getActiveTextEditor()
  if (editor === undefined) { return; }

let boldRange = editor.bufferRangeForScopeAtCursor("markup.bold") // only gets the single line; should also check earlier and later lines until no more bold
  if (boldRange) {
    let text = editor.getTextInBufferRange(boldRange)
    if (text.slice(0, 2) === "**") {
      text = text.slice(2)
    }
    if (text.slice(-2) === "**") {
      text = text.slice(0, -2)
    }
    editor.setTextInBufferRange(boldRange, text)
  } else {
    let cursor    = editor.getLastCursor()
    let wordRange = cursor.getCurrentWordBufferRange()
    let text      = editor.getTextInBufferRange(wordRange)
    editor.setTextInBufferRange(wordRange, "**" + text + "**")
  }
})