Git update index

I would like to change the permissions on a file
git update-index --chmod=+x foo.sh
or
git update-index --add --chmod=+x foo.sh

using Atom GitHub commands, without installing Git or a bunch of crap on my system just to accomplish this one simple little task.

Any suggestions?

Edit: What would really be awesome is a package that works just like Git so we could just add git to Atom, but that’s probably a very complicated and thankless task.

A package that works just like git would actually just include git, which is a very small program and doesn’t come with a “bunch of crap”.

If you want to perform command-line git tasks without installing git, you’re probably out of luck.

Like the way NetBeans works. Just clone a repo and you have all git commands.

Just add the package to Atom, you have all Git commands. Keep everything inside the Atom folder.

You can run any command line instructions you want from process-palette.

yes, it seems so. I was thinking on trying to set the permissions through Travis before calling the script.

I don’t have Git. Does Atom have Git shell access built in?

I have a severe aversion to installing things on my computer. It tends to lead to just needing one more app to make things work, then just one more to make that one work, then just one more to make that work, etc.

If you’re content being motivated by irrational fear, sure. Or you could ask someone who uses git if git requires that you install extra stuff to make it work. It doesn’t. :slight_smile:

No, but Atom does… That’s my point, Install Atom, now I need to install Git, what’s next? That’s why I fight it so hard.

Atom doesn’t need git to work. A fair number of people use Atom who aren’t coders, and they largely have no reason to deal with git.

I agree that more git functionality in Atom would be good, but the developers have their own priorities. In the mean time, having git on your system can be useful.

Got it. I added it to the Travis-CI travis.yml file on github.

before_install:
  - chmod +x foo.sh

That’s the proper way to do it. You mention having an aversion to install things. However, you prefer certain applications “smuggling” additional software? That makes no sense, that way you have even less control over what gets on your computer. Apart from that, if you were using several tools, say editors, you’d prefer each editor to ship with its own version of Git?! There’s a word for that: dependency hell.

If you wish to install extra “stuff” on your system, go for it. Each new programs adds one more chance for conflict, one more thing to track for update, one more thing that someone may abandon as a project, etc., etc., etc.

My minimalistic ways work for me. Takes a little more effort to get some things to work but in the long run its significantly better imo.

This topic is a perfect illustration of my point also. I still have not installed Git as a separate program and I still can do everything I need without it.

I’m sorry to say this, but you probably have no idea what you’re talking about. Take for instance your example of NetBeans. Do you really think that NetBeans does something different than internally using the Git command-line in one way or another? Now imagine if every program with Git support did the same. You’d have many versions of Git installed and in all likelihood their versions would mismatch. Hence a global Git installation is the real “minimalistic way”.

To be honest, I have no idea how Atom treats Git. It might as well be that Atom bundles Git to make sure it works. In other words, installing “extra stuff”.

I am fuzzy on this now but there was a time when I wanted to install git and if memory serves me you also had to install bash shell for windows first which opened you up to a lot of conflicts. To install bash shell you needed to install something else first.

Now its not the case but I do recall that it used to be so. I prefer to use integrated apps myself but your point on smuggling does have merit.

All it takes is a quick Google search to confirm that git is not a flash in the pan, not a resource hog, and certainly not a program that changes often enough to require frequent updates.

You do not need to install bash in order to use git. You can use it just fine from cmd.exe. However, cmd.exe is objectively terrible and it would be borderline criminal to release a command-line tool intended for regular use and expect everyone to use the Notepad of terminal emulators. That’s why the package Git for Windows includes a distribution of bash that’s been ported for Windows. It in no way conflicts with anything.

Personally, I use command lines a lot in developing JavaScript and Python, and in managing files on a couple of servers. So I’ve been using cmder, which is pretty straight out of the box and easy to configure with your most used directories and presets. The console emulator behind it is ConEmu, which works basically like cmd.exe except that it’s not terrible. I have full access to all git commands and I can basically use Linux and Windows CLI syntaxes interchangeably (useful for when I’m jumping between systems).

Why not just skip the bull dung and integrate Git into the editor?

If its good enough for NetBeans, and its good enough for Eclipse, why not Atom?

Okay, fine. With my magical mind control powers, I will hereby cause all the Atom developers to stop whatever else it is they’re doing and write the remaining features necessary for complete and total git integration. Just for you.

I’m trying to help you and you’re making absurd demands. Do you want to know what your options are, or do you really just want to complain? If it’s the latter, then this entire thread has been an utter waste of time. I hang out on here so that I can help people find solutions to their problems, not be lectured over something that I cannot control and don’t actually agree is a problem.

Netbeans really comes with Git bundled and it uses this bundled Git for whatever is needed regardless if local has already another Git version installed. There are pros and cons, though. Nice thing is that it is seemingly easier to install as one bundled package/app.

Downside is that you do not have control over the “bundled” Git and it may not support the latest Git features you’d need. I did learn this after quite a bit of pondering when something did not work as it did without issues on command line - The Other ie. “command line” -Git was much much more recent.

In general: bundles make installation simpler but lock you to something you may not like, and would also multiply different apps on your local.

I’m sure plenty of people have workflows and needs best suited to NetBeans’ all-inclusive attitude. Those people would not be well-served by Atom.