Git Log package: Graphs your commits

Checkout at Git Log.

Readme file

Git Log Package

Git-log is a package for Atom that creates a graph of your git commits and shows commit related information for you on the editor.

Installing

Use the Atom package manager, which can be found in the Settings view or
run apm install git-log from the command line.

Feature requests & bug reports

The main development branch is develop and the stable ‘production’ branch is master. Please remember to base your branch from develop and issue the pull request back to that branch.

Note

The inspiration for this package is SourceTree App.

Using D3 in an Atom View

That looks great, well done!
Definitely trying this out now.

Tips for styling? The default looks nothing like my theme …

Ehm… I got two for you as well:

1. It’s extremely slow to load large repo histories. I loaded the atom source folder and the git log window took over 2 minutes to show any content.
    After that it pretty much locks up Atom: Resizing the window has a lag of half a minute. Scrolling down the log is impossible, not reacting etc…
    In fact, the atom process running this jumps up to over 1GB RAM.

2. The font is enormous!!!
    This is obviously a minor issue, but since the flood gates are opened:

The theme is fine for me, but it would be nice to be able to resize the font or set it in the settings.
Having said that, I couldn’t try Ctrl- -, because of the locking up issue above, but would that work?

@leedohm I dont what the issue it is… because i am using opacity. I will check on the issue

@batjko

Yup i also noticed the huge loading time for the graph when i used the d3 repo… I am not sure on how i can fix it thought

Regarding the font size you can change it in the settings by changing the font scaling factor. Default is 1

I have one question … did d3 install properly for you when you installed the package? or did you get a contextify package not registering error?

I’m sorry… d3?

I haven’t had any issues installing this git log package if that’s what you mean.

D3

Ah, I remember seeing some cool examples done with this.
So that’s what the graph is made with, which does look very pretty.

Sorry, to re-iterate, @NikhilKalige: I did not see any error messages when installing. Seems to have gone fine, or at least the console didn’t pop up or any other error.

@batjko I myself am having some difficulties installing the package :smile:. Because i can’t get d3.js to install… I am getting a error that contextify can’t register with atom.

It works some times and doesn’t work afterwards

Do you think loading the first few commits and doing a pagination kind of stuff is good?

Nice. Haven’t tried it in any big repos yet though.

I think the problem with the styling have to do with a “faulty” syntax theme that is missing it’s own ui-variables.less file, so the variables used is based on the light base theme I would guess. But this also shows that it doesn’t look that good on a light theme so probably should do something about that :slight_smile:

Some other thoughts:
I think the usual way to display the commit message is to only show the first row, and then when you click on it display the rest. This is since the first row is usually a summary.

Is there no way to close the info box?

Would be a nice feature to be able to open the log only for the current file.

I think that might help.
In most cases people don’t need to see more than the last what… 20 or so commits?
If they do need to see more, pagination could facilitate that. Or maybe some fancy automatic “load more…” loader/spinner kind thing after the first 20, adding 20 more when scrolled down etc…?

@danielbrodin You can close the info box with Escape key

My default atom theme uses black… so i used just that… I need to take a look at the light theme though
I wanted it to make it some sort of theme independent. So i used black opacity on the background… but i need to check.

I will update the commit message display thats a good one.

What do you mean by a single file though?

Yup , something like that would be good… Will see if i can get that done

I mean get a git log view with the commits for just the file i’m currently in, and not the hole project.

I find myself agreeing with simply everyone tonight.

@batjko @danielbrodin Do you mean like a git blame for the current file

I think what he means is rather a git history of every commit that the currently selected file has been changed in, if that makes sense.

oooh… i think i got it now… Will see how i can do that