Git integration cannot push/pull because I renamed remote

I’m using the git panel in 1.18 for the first time. I’m working with an existing local repo I initialised from the command line. Also following the mini tutorials on https://github.atom.io/. Stage works fine, commit works fine.

After creating a branch locally in Atom, and committing files to it, when I click ‘push’ I get
No remote detected for branch temp. Cannot push because there is no remote named "origin" for which to create a remote tracking branch.

That is true because earlier I used git remote add gh <mygithubrepo.git> in iTerm to define the remote. Newsflash, not everybody uses “origin”! Atom doesn’t seem to be capable of detecting the alias of the remote.

Should I have configured something in Atom before attempting this, or is it a bug?

It sounds like Atom is just being opinionated about how you should be using git.

Is that a good thing?

For me, an origin is where something originates. Since my repos tend to originate at home, I’ve always renamed my remotes.

Probably not if you’re a power user, but I suspect the contingent of git power users is small due to it being generally not a very fun program to use.

For me, an origin is where something originates. Since my repos tend to originate at home, I’ve always renamed my remotes.

The name origin is convention among the community of git users, possibly helped by the fact that it’s the default remote name added when you clone a repo. Do you derive any benefit from having the remote named gh versus origin?

Do you derive any benefit from having the remote named gh versus origin?

Not especially, I suppose it makes it easier for me to build a mental model of where my code gets deployed. With git commands not being particularly beginner-friendly at the best of times, I’ll continue to make use of aliases where I can.

As far as I’m concerned the onus is on Atom to get it right if they wish to be a git GUI. Meanwhile the command line is better for me - and I’m certainly no power user.