Getting python3 to run in atom

Beginner here , followed some guides and tried to get python3 running in atom to no avail.
This is what my config looks like( still shows that I only run python 2.7)
I am running Mac OS
"*":
“atom-python-run”:
f5Command: “python3 {file}”
“autocomplete-python”:
useKite: false
core:
packagesWithKeymapsDisabled: []
telemetryConsent: "no"
themes: [
“one-dark-ui”
“predawn-syntax”
]
editor:
fontFamily: “Source Code Pro"
fontSize: 20
tabLength: 4
"exception-reporting”:
userId: "dbab5103-2f7f-43f3-8751-feba53c74d95"
runner:
scopes:
python: “/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.6/bin/python3”

How did you install Python3 on your Mac? I recommend installing it via Homebrew. That way you’ll have the default Python 2.x.x that Apple ships, an updated Python 2.x.x that is the newest stable, and also Python 3.x.x that is the newest stable.

As for running it inside of Atom with the atom-python-run package you’ll need to set the PATH for Python in the settings. Again, easier with Homebrew as it’ll be installed to /usr/local/bin/packageName (in this case /usr/local/bin/python and /usr/local/bin/python3 for the updated versions 2 & 3)

Edit: Basically, right now the atom-python-run package right now does not know how to run a python program because it doesn’t know where python is installed on your computer. Set the PATH and you should be good to go.

Thank you so much to begin with. But can you maybe also tell me how I set that path ? (sorry real beginner ) :frowning:

Open your terminal and type:

which python

and

which python3

this will show the location of your python installations. If you don’t have python3 installed and wish to use it, install Homebrew and then Python3 via that. Google Homebrew and it’ll bring it up. Homebrew will automatically set the PATH for you so then within you Atom package atom-python-run settings you can set F5 to python and F6 to python3

You can also always run your python files from the terminal itself, it doesn’t have to be run via inside Atom.