Getting message "Failed to update package dependencies"

I’m consistently getting the message “Failed to update package dependencies” when I try to update from the command palette. I’ve tried changing permissions on the .node-gyp to no avail. Perhaps related, the release notes are not updating for atom-core despite restarting the application.

Yup, same thing happening to me since yesterday.

Same here. It’s also unclear to me whether this command is intended to be used to update all of your Atom Themes and Packages or not… https://github.com/atom/update-package-dependencies

When I saw many of my installed Packages has updates waiting in the Settings screen, I didn’t want to have to go into each of them and click their update button; so I checked the command palette and found the “update” command.

Also, I’m on v0.60.0.

Same problem with 0.71.0.

running apm update command I get:

npm ERR! install Couldn't read dependencies
npm ERR! package.json ENOENT, open '/Users/yriveiro/package.json'
npm ERR! package.json This is most likely not a problem with npm itself.
npm ERR! package.json npm can't find a package.json file in your current directory.

npm ERR! System Darwin 12.5.0
npm ERR! command "/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/apm/node_modules/atom-package-manager/bin/node" "/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/apm/node_modules/atom-package-manager/node_modules/npm/bin/npm-cli.js" "--userconfig" "/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app/apm/node_modules/atom-package-manager/.apmrc" "install" "--target=0.11.10" "--arch=x64"
npm ERR! cwd /Users/yriveiro
npm ERR! node -v v0.10.26
npm ERR! npm -v 1.4.4
npm ERR! path /Users/yriveiro/package.json
npm ERR! code ENOPACKAGEJSON
npm ERR! errno 34
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Additional logging details can be found in:
npm ERR!     /Users/yriveiro/npm-debug.log
npm ERR! not ok code 0

I never made it work since day one.

apm update isn’t for getting the latest version of your Atom packages. apm upgrade is the command for that.

My fault, I misunderstood the goal of update command, indeed the upgrade command doesn’t show any error.

@leedohm In apm command world, is there a package.json file that I could define the structure so that I could keep track the version, name of my packages? so that I could use apm install or apm install --save to reference what is in my package.json dependencies block?