Getting an abstract syntax tree of a Java code

Hello,

I have been trying to get an abstract syntax tree of a Java code because I want to build a Java IDE within Atom, or, at least, build the jump-to-definition feature. I’ll deal with hooking up a build system later.

Anyway, since a grammar is recursive, I am guessing that Atom must build the tree behind the scene.

After searching for a while, all I have found is that TokenizedBuffer parses a text using a grammar and build an array of TokenizedLine. There’s no tree…

Looking at the code below:

class Hello {
  private static <T> void changeMethods(CompilationUnit cu) {
     List<TypeDeclaration> types = cu.getTypes();
     for (TypeDeclaration type : types) {
         List<BodyDeclaration> members = type.getMembers();
         for (BodyDeclaration member : members) {
             if (member instanceof MethodDeclaration) {
                 MethodDeclaration method = (MethodDeclaration) member;
                 changeMethod(method);
                 changeMethod(method);
             }
         }
     }
  }
}

When I click at “MethodDeclaration”, I can get the Token instance. But I cannot get its parent.

I wonder if anyone can help me. Thanks.

Atom uses pattern matching for its syntax highlighting, AFAIK, not full-blown parsing / AST-traversal. This is for performance reasons I guess, and also for allowing to highlight badly formed documents.

This is the biggest reason why editors use pattern matching instead of grammars. Most parsers don’t handle re-entering the parsing rules at an arbitrary point.

Got it. This means I will have to build a syntax tree and somehow integrate it into Token myself.
I’m not sure how to start yet. If you guys can point me to something, that’d be great.
Thanks!

There have been several topics talking about dynamic grammars. You can find the links to all of them here: