From Anaconda Spyder IDE to Atom: how? [pro noob here]

Hi guys,

I really need some help here. I am not a developer, but in the last year I developed with a friend an algorithm in Python “that works like a trading system”. This algorithm consists of three different files (.py), all linked together.

But after one year and thousands lines of code, developing with Spyder is becoming a pain in the ass: the IDE is fat and slow, the editor has not useful features like PyCharm and the general UX is too much to handle, so I started looking for something else.

And I discovered Atom.

It looks awesome, it seems fast as **ck, I installed it and tried to run our code. Remember when I said I am not a developer? Let’s begin with the the noob questions:

1. How can I run my Python code from the Atom editor to a console, like in Spyder? I mean, we like to select portions of code and run those specific lines separately, is that possible in Atom?
  2. I tried to install the Hydrogen package but Atom seems unable to complete the process, so I installed Script, but I don’t understand how it works. For example, when I run (cmd + i) import pandas it works, or at least it seems like that, but when I run database = pandas.DataFrame(xxx) the “console” (?) that pops up below returns:
    Traceback (most recent call last): File "<string>", line 47, in <module> NameError: name 'pandas' is not defined [Finished in 0.054s]
    How is that possible that pandas is not defined if I just imported it?
  3. Can someone explain me what I need to replicate the Spyder IDE with Atom?

Thanks and sorry fo the boring questions. Have a nice day and good work! :slight_smile:

First, there’s a FAQ that covers some of this:

As far as how the script package works, that’s covered by this FAQ:

I haven’t heard of the Spyder IDE before today. You might need to be a bit more specific in what features you’re looking for :grinning: