Frequent CPU spikes in 0.189

So I’ve been using atom for about a week and a bit, I’m loving it mostly. However, I updated to 0.189 this morning and I now get a ~5 second lag spike every 20 - 30 seconds, this seems to be caused by an atom helper class eating up basically a whole CPU core. This is damn frustrating to type with so I’ve returned to text wrangler for now, I’d really like to use atom again though!

Just to clarify I’m on a 2014 iMac with an i5, I’ve disabled all but the default packages to no avail. This occurs with only 1 200 line JS file open.

1. Can you reproduce the issue after exiting all instances of Atom and starting using atom --safe?
  2. How much RAM do you have on your machine? (I have a Core i7 Retina iMac with 32GB of RAM and a 2011 13-inch MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM and don’t see this.)

1. Safe mode seems to have the same issue, but with a significantly lower spike ( 30 - 40% instead of 100% ). So the UI is actually usable in safe mode.
  2. 16GB, its not a low end machine by any stretch( although it is using a hybrid drive not a SSD )memory usage seems much higher than 0.188 but its not causing usability problems yet.

Issue is 100% reproducible, I’ve tried closing atom completely multiple times:

1. Open atom
  2. Open a file
  3. Scroll around on any tab(including package manager & settings)
  4. Refresh rate drops dramatically intermittently

Sounds like a package is getting out of control if the UI is usable in Safe Mode. @mark_hahn’s package-cop package can be helpful in trying to track this kind of thing down.