Find (and replace) does not work - what am I doing wrong?

The screenshot says it all. I select some text, try to “find” a string, and Atom only finds one example. It’s not even in the selected text! I can’t find anyone else with this problem, so it must be doing something wrong. Please help!

Hi,

Do you have the correct encoding set for the file? Atom defaults to utf-8. If this is a utf-16 file which seems to be common for game configuration files then searching wont work as expected.

You can change the encoding from the encoding selector which is available using encoding-selector:show bound to ctrl-shift-u by default or by clicking on the encoding in the status bar.

Thanks for the reply. I’m pretty sure that it’s utf-8. I should have added that when I first load Atom, the first search works. But some details of the first search seem to be remembered in later searches.

I just found a workaround. If I click a different tab, then return to the tab I’m working on, then search works correctly. I don’t know if that helps with tracing the problem.

Hey,

• What version of Atom are you using?
  • Do you see any errors in the developer tools console when the search is failing?

It reports version 1.20.1 ia32 and says "up to date ". Here is another screenshot, with developer tools open.

This is what I did:

1. Opened Atom, used find, got the correct result (9 results).
  2. Selected a different section, clicked “find” and it still reported the previous 9 results. Took the screenshot.
  3. After taking the screenshot I switched tabs again, and on return the correct result was shown.

Hi @tolworthy,

There is an error in the developer tools. Can you click on the little red icon in the upper right corner to see what the error says?

Thanks for spotting that! I’m new at this, as you can tell. Hope this means something to you:

As text:
:116489 IntersectionObserver.observe(target): target element is not a descendant of root.
TreeView @ :116489
util.js:1022 Uncaught (in promise) Error: spawn UNKNOWN
at exports._errnoException (util.js:1022:11)
at ChildProcess.spawn (internal/child_process.js:313:11)
at exports.spawn (child_process.js:399:9)
at Object.exports.execFile (child_process.js:160:15)
at Object.module.(anonymous function) [as execFile] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:200:20)
at C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.19.7\resources\app\node_modules\dugite\build\lib\git-process.js:65:52
at Function.exec (C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.19.7\resources\app\node_modules\dugite\build\lib\git-process.js:48:16)
at Proxy.executeGitCommand (C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\git-shell-out-strategy.js:383:54)
at C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\git-shell-out-strategy.js:253:50
at Generator.next ()
at step (C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\git-shell-out-strategy.js:88:197)
at C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\git-shell-out-strategy.js:88:443
at C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\git-shell-out-strategy.js:88:105
at Promise (C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\git-shell-out-strategy.js:350:32)
at C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\git-shell-out-strategy.js:251:22
at Generator.next ()
at step (C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\git-shell-out-strategy.js:88:197)
at C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\git-shell-out-strategy.js:88:443
at C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\git-shell-out-strategy.js:88:105
at C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\async-queue.js:26:44
at Generator.next ()
at step (C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\async-queue.js:7:197)
at C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\async-queue.js:7:443
at C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\async-queue.js:7:105
at Task.execute (C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\async-queue.js:31:13)
at C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\async-queue.js:96:26
at Generator.next ()
at step (C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\async-queue.js:7:197)
at C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\async-queue.js:7:443
at C:\Users\Chris\AppData\Local\atom\app-1.20.1\resources\app\node_modules\github\lib\async-queue.js:7:105

Hi,

Looks like this error is from the GitHub package and it seems to be an issue with the 32-bit Windows version. This is unrelevant to the search issue you are having. https://github.com/atom/github/issues/986

I think the issue you are having is this one: https://github.com/atom/find-and-replace/issues/677 seems like there is a bug with find in selection.

Interesting. So as people tend to migrate to 64 bit it shouldn’t be a high priority. I accept that bugs are fixed by volunteers, so I can live with that.

It’s not even a huge problem for me any more - I only realised this morning that I could just click “tab -tab” before searching, to solve the problem. I will happily put up with that for Atom’s other benefits. It’s still faster than my paid-for editor, and Atom doesn’t nag me to upgrade.

Thanks again for your help.