Files on network drive crash atom

Hi, we keep some of our code on a network drive. I open them directly in Atom and work on them. If wifi gets interrupted or there LAN issues, Atom will crash. Any chance that Atom could rather keep a local cached version until one saves, to avoid this problem? I think that is what Notepad++ does. Your data is kept, even if you close it and have not yet saved it as a file.

Atom does exactly that, provided you have edited the file. If you haven’t edited the file, it will be synced with the file on disk, so that it changes if the file changes (Notepad++ just asks you if you want to reload). If you have an open, saved file that mysteriously disappears, then it’s possible that Atom reacts poorly. I’m sure there’s some measure that could be put in to avoid this, but I don’t know enough about Atom’s inner workings to know where the failure would be occurring.

How are you connecting to the network drive?

Sorry, btw, I am running Windows 10 Pro. I access the network drive with Windows Explorer, using a format like \data\directory1\directory2\file.txt. Another symptom: if I try to open Atom and it tries to open a file on the network drive I previously worked on that is currently unavailable, Atom will try for a while and then crash. This should be fairly easy for the developers to replicate and then hopefully figure out some solution, to make Atom’s stability less dependent on the availability of the text files it is trying to load.

Yes, but how is the computer connected to the drive?

This should be fairly easy for the developers to replicate and then hopefully figure out some solution, to make Atom’s stability less dependent on the availability of the text files it is trying to load.

Agreed. You should open an issue at the Atom repo.