Files not opening or saving (Debian)

After installing Linux 5.3, Atom started behaving weirdly a while after startup. The version is still in unstable (on Debian at least) but I have not had problems with other applications, so before I file a bug report there I wanted to check if someone knows more about this. Ways to get more logs would also be helpful.

After I open some files and/or save them, I can no longer open any additional files or save existing ones. Earlier, I had some problems where I could no longer open files after using the settings. However, that would be fixed after restarting Atom; now it always goes wrong. If I try to close a file with unsaved modifications, it prompts to save it the first time, but when I click to save it still shows the file unsaved.

To rule some things out: running atom -f shows no additional output other than some GtK warnings which I think are irrelevant.

(atom:27519): Gtk-WARNING **: 22:54:41.770: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:127:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-x is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(atom:27519): Gtk-WARNING **: 22:54:41.770: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:128:35: The style property GtkButton:child-displacement-y is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

(atom:27519): Gtk-WARNING **: 22:54:41.770: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:132:46: The style property GtkScrolledWindow:scrollbars-within-bevel is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version

Running atom --clear-window-state does not help either (nor does it seem to clear window state). I have tried both methods in conjunction with (re)moving my ~/.atom directory.

> atom -v
Atom    : 1.41.0
Electron: 4.2.7
Chrome  : 69.0.3497.128
Node    : 10.11.0

> uname -v
#1 SMP Debian 5.3.7-1 (2019-10-19)

There is nothing concrete this Win10 user can offer you.
But please test these:

• atom --safe
  • Deactivate external / built-in packages - as many as possible - especially git related.

If I do mv ~/.atom ~/.atom.bkp (so that it generates a new configuration directory), is that enough?

No its not.
(Windows-only user asks: “Is mv for move?”)

The packages that comes with the core is not stored in packages folder.
You can use apm to deactivate those from outside Atom.

apm --help for all possible combinations such as…

• apm list to see which packages are installed
  • apm help disable to see how to use the disable function.

If you still can open Atom and reach the settings, the the GUI way is to go to the Settings -> Packages to deactivate selected packages.

Sorry, I’m on mobile and I hoped it would be clear enough.

Thank you for the help. You were right, it seems to be the github package that is being a problem (but only when the panel is open (and probably also after it’s closed).

Edit: same as what the first few posts in https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/18114, it seems. However, I don’t see any errors in the developers tool, nor do I use Kite (or Python).

ouch!
Is it a package you need?

Please consider to contribute to the issue you link to (which I did not read yet) if you think your experience can add a piece to the puzzle.

Thank you for giving your feedback.

It’s locked :confused:

okay… the last reply suggests creating a new issue.
Are you game to do so, at your earliest convenience? (thanks in advance)

Right, made:

1 Like