File encoding in v 0.141 only allows to change, but does not detect


Continuing the discussion from File encoding other than UTF-8:

Unfortunately, it only allows you to change the encoding, not detecting :frowning: . Also, I didn’t find a way to force it to open always with a desired encoding (since almost every file that I have are not UTF-8.

But, it is good to know that the encoding support is evolving :smile:

Keep the good work


You should open an issue on the repo for this. It’d definitely be better to have a default encoding setting (that can also be set to auto detect) instead of having to go through the encoding selector.


I created an issue for that. Is not a bug report, but an enhancement :smile:



I did some research on character encoding autodetection over the weekend. It isn’t simple at all. UTF-8 and UTF-16 can be autodetected with reasonable accuracy, other than that … it’s pretty much up in the air. I think after that, we’ll have to rely on the user setting a default.