Feedback needed for script package

Hey all,

I’d :heart: to get some feedback on a package I’ve been working on.

It runs scripts from within Atom.

Just run cmd-i to evaluate the whole file or a selection.

My primary concerns are the UI/UX. What would you want to see?

• What’s a good layout?
  • What keybinding do you prefer?
  • What other features would you want?

The language gets detected by using getGrammar on the current Editor instance, and there’s a simple little Object to pick the right interpreter and options for the selected language. Python, Ruby, PHP, Bash, CoffeeScript, and JavaScript are configured. Adding another is easy (welcoming PRs!)

I think the layout kind of depends on the user… for a lot of things, simply receiving the output in a pane below the editor would be enough. In a few scenarios I might want the pane on the right hand side of the screen.

It would be really great if there was a way to actually input into the program while it is running (e.g. when using Python input()).

It would be really great if there was a way to actually input into the program while it is running (e.g. when using Python input()).

Hmmm, not sure how to approach that one. Atom’s Buffered Process class doesn’t provide a way to use stdin. We’d probably want to use node’s child_process.spawn directly to be able to use the child.stdin stream.

On that same note though, I am working on interacting with an IPython kernel via websockets (http://github.com/rgbkrk/atom-ipynb), but I need some time to learn more before that’s stable.

I really like your package :slight_smile:

One thing that is a bit annoying is that copy to clipboard is not working in the output window.

Also, it would be great if you could see if the script is still running… maybe in the tab name? And perhaps add a line to output when the run is finished, maybe with the time it took to complete ?

One thing that is a bit annoying is that copy to clipboard is not working in the output window.

Sure enough. It doesn’t work in the bottom pane layout we’ve been working on either. This makes me wonder if the editor view is hogging copy/⌘-c.

Also, it would be great if you could see if the script is still running… maybe in the tab name?

Yeah, I was thinking some collection of the bundled octicons would be great for displaying status. I added some samples in the bottom view PR by @intothev01d.

And perhaps add a line to output when the run is finished, maybe with the time it took to complete ?

That’s great feedback. Want to [add it](https://github.com/rgbkrk/atom-script/issues/new?title=Add line to output when process is finished) to the issue tracker along with any others?

Thanks so much for checking this out and for reviewing the module. Working on Atom packages is kind of addicting.

Even without IPython, do you have the ability to interact with the regular python shell, e.g. by spawning a python -i subprocess?

I would love to give you better feedback, but, I’m having trouble actually using it. I’m new to coding and picked up Lua, and I made a script to run, but I get this error, can anyone help?