Feature Request: Better package discovery and stats

As mentioned in my previous topic of feature requests, I feel that it’s quite hard at the moment to determine which packages are better than others at dong the same jobs.

Earlier packages will have more installs and this will artificially inflate their importance, whereas newer, better, more-often-updated packages that do the same thing may be overlooked by most people seeing that large shiny number on the old package.

I must admit that I don’t have a good solution here, though. I tend to click ‘more info’ and look at the readme file, version number (higher suggests more updates) and even the code in the repo sometimes in order to compare two packages that appear to do the same thing. Once I even installed both and compared them directly.

It’s be good for the package discovery tool to be able to somehow give us a better idea of things like ‘last updated’, ‘current version’, maybe # downloads in last week as opposed to all time (though that could still be useless as the momentum of an old, un-updated package will take a long time to wear out) all in the UI rather than ‘more info’.

Package Rating System
Rating/Downvoting Packages
Packages page on atom.io need improvements
Rating/Downvoting Packages
3,800 packages and counting! How can I possibly check them all out?

Someone else has suggested a rating system too. So that’s another suggestion to add to this.

Likewise, upvoting would be good to promote well-working packages, and sorting the list by up/down vote ratios.

@batjko there currently are two ‘upvoting’ stats: stars and download count.

In case of broken package or one with misleading description, download count will be high, but there is no way to tell others to avoid it.

I think what people miss when they think of “download count” as a measure of quality or popularity is that only the packages that are both popular (i.e. used by a lot of people) and are updated frequently (i.e. downloaded by people repeatedly) will have the download counts that truly stand out. It is the multiplicative nature of the two qualities I mention that makes download counts a useful statistic.

Also, if a package is “a total scam” there is always the “spam or malicious” button:

Assuming what you meant is that the package is a bad actor rather than just simply bad.

+1 for having some sort of peer rating system for packages. I can’t believe the atom administrators have not implemented this. Amazing (and sad)!

I submitted the above post by accident, it was meant for another thread. Also I am getting a 500 error when I try to edit or delete my post. So please ignore it.

As happy as I am about the rating system, it’s kind of surprising that it wasn’t combined with GitHub’s existing star system. I suppose this has to do with the fact, that package repositories can be hosted elsewhere. Still, it would have been nice to link ratings where possible – after all, GitHub and Atom are from the same company.

My post was redirected to this thread, so I’m going to re-post it as it’s not quite in the same vein as the thread seems to be heading.

3,800 packages and counting! How can I possibly check them all out? What efforts are underway or or packages available to make this incredible load of extensibility more explorable? I just don’t know what I don’t know – in other words. Is there a complete overview of topics of packages?

I would be willing to bend some code towards this, does the Atom package repo respond to the GitHub API ?

If I can put something together that works I don’t think it should be run every time people visit the repo, I’d ask that the Atom group run it regularly and host hte generated pages.

I’d be building JSON and then generating the pages with Mustache, so you guys can tweak/replace the html as needed.

The documentation for the Atom package API is here:

This is an area that while we’d like to see it improved, we don’t have the bandwidth to do so right now … or honestly even maintain something that someone else built. I believe in the short term if this is going to be solved, it will need to be a community effort.

well let’s see if I can get something together, then we’ll worry about where to take it after that

I’d recommend checking out (and contributing to) awesome atom

That is awesome. The selection seems random (e.g. I hate dark themes) but that is why different people should curate their own choices. And there should be an easier way to curate than each person creating a repo.