Feature problems using Atom in general

I Like Atom Even More Than Before and I Liked It a LOT
I made some harshly critical comments regarding Atom that I would like to amend. I tried making clear that on the whole I was hugely in awe of Atom. My criticism was aimed at what I view a essential usability problems when it comes to interacting with the file system from within Atom. I was still getting used to Atom when I wrote that.

Now that I have used Atom longer, I have to say that for every shortcoming I perceived, I have found other features for working with the file system that are awesome. My favorite Atom feature with regard to the file system is the way atom updates open files with new names or directory paths when the names or paths have been edited. Maybe “everybody’s” IDE does that these days, but I have not seen that working before. That is a terrific innovation and important time saver.

I just want to say again, Atom is great. I love it.

Socializing @ Discuss.atom.io
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the fact that when I was being a prick about what I had to say, in response I got nothing but support. Every comment back focused only on the issues I was expressing and not a single snark telling me to be “lol haha facebook me on twitter.” That tolerance is important to me, and I think it is important to software development. I am more of a jerk than average, but I am not alone in having strong feelings aroused in the course of working on software. Most of the time, part of our job is to keep a lid on those feelings and not let them show, especially to clients or others who likely will be offended. Failure to handle frustration is a good way to lose respect from others or lose a job. Justifying that behavior is great way to not grow professionally. Even though all that is true, I still think it is wonderful that in a forum of professional programmers, there is a tolerance for struggles spilling into the open. I am sure you know what I am talking about, so I won’t try describing it more. What I want to say is “thank you” for your support. I appreciate it so much you either would not believe me if I told you or you would discover what people close to me already know (i.e., I am nuts). Just because I am a nut, it doesn’t mean I cannot program at least a little and I need to make a living somehow so this matters to me a lot.

Meh, you haven’t ever been that bad. A little resistant, yes, but this forum has seen worse. In your case, even when you’re harsh and maybe even wrong, you still have well-considered and well-articulated points. I’ve never felt like I couldn’t communicate with you or like you didn’t have internally consistent reasons for feeling the way you do. Lots of people in tech are more jerkish than average, which likely comes from having personality types predisposed to having strong opinions about technical issues where most of the right answers are situational and relative. Not everyone gets that, and not everyone has a job or hobby that places them in frequent contact with people who have ideas about tabs versus spaces, or whether or not JavaScript should be used for desktop development, or the internal rules of the Python community. I’ve had some of my best arguments with other techies and tabletop gamers (there’s a huge overlap there).

To the extent my behavior has been acceptable, I will make up for that in the future.

:rofl::sunglasses::laughing::scream::crazy_face:
just kidding.

I guess at this point I am on the same page as the Atom developers, because I don’t have time to put into the drag and drop stuff yet. I hope I do someday.

There’s a lot of text here and I’ll admit I have not read much of it. But it seems that one of the things brought up here is the ability to drag and drop multiple files in the tree-view?

This was implemented by a community member but not yet included in a released version of Atom because there are some problems with failing tests when upgrading tree-view to the version that includes it. We have had a lot of problems with failing tests/tests crashing on Windows for a while and we can’t merge it when it is failing.

See https://github.com/atom/tree-view/pull/1179 that implemented it and https://github.com/atom/atom/pull/17088 which is our PR for investigating the failing test. If you want any indication on when this will be available you can subscribe to this PR for updates.

It is on the master version of the tree-view so you can test it out today by linking tree-view to Atom.

Thank you for the helpful info.

While I have an instance of Atom built for a start I made on learning how this system goes together, I am not up to speed on how to link my working edition of atom to the tree view. My working edition is the binary downloaded from here:
https://atom.io/download/mac

There are a lot of reasons for me to get more into that. I have been having to take this slower than I would like as a result of always being behind on the work I get paid for. I will be back on this as soon as possible.