Fasta files: remove header after the gi identifier

I use fasta files, they have a long header like this (after I download from NCBI)

gi|550003|gb|U14742.1|PRU14742 Papaya ringspot virus isolate Vietnam coat protein mRNA, partial cds
CTGGTCTAAATGAAAAGCTCAAAGAAAAGGAAAAACAGAAAGAAAAAGAAAAAGAAAAAGATAAACAAAA
AGATAAAGATAACGATGGAGCTAGTGACGAAAATGATGTGTCAACTAGCACAAAGACTGGAGAGAGAGAT
AGAGATGTCAACGCCGGAACTAGCGGAACTTTCACTGTTCCAAGGATAAAGTCTTTTACTGATAAGATGA
TTTTACCAAGAATTAAGGGAAAGTCTGTCCTTAATTTGAATCATCTTCTTCAGTATAATCCGCAACAAAT
(after the > symbol, this line is considered as a label and is not used in analysis, it is the first line)

I would like to shorten the label to >gi|550003 (on the first line)

gi|550003
CTGGTCTAAATGAAAAGCTCAAAGAAAAGGAAAAACAGAAAGAAAAAGAAAAAGAAAAAGATAAACAAAA
AGATAAAGATAACGATGGAGCTAGTGACGAAAATGATGTGTCAACTAGCACAAAGACTGGAGAGAGAGAT
AGAGATGTCAACGCCGGAACTAGCGGAACTTTCACTGTTCCAAGGATAAAGTCTTTTACTGATAAGATGA
TTTTACCAAGAATTAAGGGAAAGTCTGTCCTTAATTTGAATCATCTTCTTCAGTATAATCCGCAACAAAT

In my text file there would be some 600 fasta files, how can do the above process using atom (right now I select and delete by hand). I will have duplicate copies of the file and I can trace the label by the gi number when needed.

This feature will help all bioinformaticians. thanks

A package could be written to make this a built-in feature. If I wrote it could I get credit as a junior bio-engineer or something? :smile:

I suppose you would also like to jump directly to those headers by typing them in. or at least a key to hop to the next one. The labels could be highlighted to make them easy to see when you scroll fast.

We could make it a standard file type like a language. Does it have a specific file suffix?

If I wrote it could I get credit as a junior bio-engineer or something?
You will be the Principal bio-engineer

like to jump directly to those headers by typing them in. or at least a key to hop to the next one.
This is not available in any program till now, but would be immensely useful;

The labels could be highlighted to make them easy to see when you scroll fast.
this can be done by searching for |gb (but only |gb will be highlighted not the gi)

We could make it a standard file type like a language. Does it have a specific file suffix?
Sir, these are text files (the file ending is *fasta) but any text editor will open it
A sequence in FASTA format begins with a single-line description, followed by lines of sequence data. The description line is distinguished from the sequence data by a greater-than (">") symbol in the first column. The word following the “>” symbol is the identifier of the sequence, and the rest of the line is the description (both are optional). There should be no space between the “>” and the first letter of the identifier. It is recommended that all lines of text be shorter than 80 characters. The sequence ends if another line starting with a “>” appears; this indicates the start of another sequence.

the gene bank |gb|, EBI |emb|, Japan |dbj| are also seen in fasta file headers.
unfortunately the number of digits following the >gi| xxxxxx| as >gi|62378| varies from 6 to even 8

Sir thank you for your kindness and for replying

I’ll do it for the experience. But I’d like to get credit for it whenever possible. :smile:

I’ll work up a simple version this week and then you can collaborate with me on how to polish it up. I’ll contact you via private message when I have questions.

Sir, I will definitely be honoured to assist you, with regards, Dr.D.K.Samuel, Senior Virologist, Indian Institute of Horticultural Research, Bangalore, India

Respected Sir, thanks for your idea on using regular expressions. your code works very well , Thank you so much, you are a good wizard. I tried on many fasta files both nucleotide and proteins,

^>gi| works fine
^(>gi|\d+).* works fine I just made a small modification to highlight from 5 to 12 digits in the gi number ^(>gi\|)\d{4,12} for 12 digits

Sir I have one request , I want the text highlighted using ^(>gi|)\d{4,12}$ highlighted like this , I did this in PSPAD, but I am not able to do this in Atom, thank you so much for your kind help, It saved a lot of computational cut and delete for me, Samuel

Text highlighting in color would require a package to be written. But you can outline all of them at once by using the find/replace. Just search for ^>gi\|\d+$ and they will appear boxed while you scroll through the file.

Yes Sir, i saw the box, Sir will not any color addon for Atom be suitable, thanks Samuel

I find this thread strangely fascinating.