Error when using Controller.js for Gamepad support, but only with Electron?

I have been trying to add gamepad support to an electron app I am writing and have found that a lot of libs for gamepads, and even the gamepad API, don’t work correctly.

I am specifically trying to use this lib https://samiare.github.io/Controller.js/ for controller support, only because it maps analog sticks to dpad events (which is essential for what I am doing). However the lib throws errors only while in Electron. I copied the opened the same code in my browser and it worked as expected, no errors.

Anyone got any ideas on what might be causing this or a way to fix it (either a fix in Electron or an alternative lib)? Like I said I’ve tried other libs and they are almost all broken in some way as well, which leads me to believe it’s the gamepad API that’s the underlying problem here.

What are the errors you’re getting?

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'buttons' of null
    at Controller.loopThroughButtons (Controller.js:232)
    at Controller.checkInputs (Controller.js:38)
    at Controller.updateController (Controller.js:32)

Only fires when in Electron, not in the browser. I think it’s caused by the gamepaddisconnected event not being sent while using Electron (or at least I could never get it to).

I ended up fixing the issue partially by editing the source and adding a try-catch, but it’s more of just a rough hack than a proper fix. The error doesn’t display but none of the disconnect events fire (which is why I assume it’s an issue with gamepaddisconnected)