Error on Atom startup, won't open files for editing -- TypeError: Unable to watch path

I’m using Atom v0.161.0 on the recently released Fedora Linux 21.

Ever since updating my distro and reinstalling Atom, whenever I try to start Atom, the JavaScript console opens up with some errors, and I can’t open any files for editing. I’ve reinstalling Atom a few times, especially as new releases came out. I tried disabling all third-party Atom packages, but I’m still getting the same errors:

Failed to watch user config /usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/src/config.js:453module.exports.Config.notifyFailure /usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/src/config.js:453 TypeError: Unable to watch path at TypeError (native) at HandleWatcher.start (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/pathwatcher/lib/main.js:66:29) at new HandleWatcher (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/pathwatcher/lib/main.js:30:12) at new PathWatcher (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/pathwatcher/lib/main.js:120:30) at Object.exports.watch (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/pathwatcher/lib/main.js:179:12) at Config.module.exports.Config.observeUserConfig (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/src/config.js:424:111) at Config.module.exports.Config.load (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/src/config.js:367:19) at Atom.module.exports.Atom.loadConfig (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/src/atom.js:758:26) at Atom.module.exports.Atom.startEditorWindow (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/src/atom.js:595:12) at Object. (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/src/window-bootstrap.js:12:8) at Object. (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/src/window-bootstrap.js:23:4) at Module._compile (module.js:468:26) at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:486:10) at Module.load (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/coffee-script/lib/coffee-script/register.js:45:36) at Function.Module._load (module.js:318:12) at Module.require (module.js:373:17) at require (module.js:392:17) at window.onload (file:///usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/static/index.js:59:25) /usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/src/config.js:454module.exports.Config.notifyFailure /usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/src/config.js:454 TypeError: Unable to watch path at TypeError (native) at HandleWatcher.start (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/pathwatcher/lib/main.js:66:29) at new HandleWatcher (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/pathwatcher/lib/main.js:30:12) at new PathWatcher (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/pathwatcher/lib/main.js:120:30) at Object.exports.watch (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/pathwatcher/lib/main.js:179:12) at File.module.exports.File.subscribeToNativeChangeEvents (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/pathwatcher/lib/file.js:364:109) at File.module.exports.File.willAddSubscription (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/pathwatcher/lib/file.js:101:14) at File.willAddSubscription (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/pathwatcher/lib/file.js:3:61) at File.module.exports.File.onDidChange (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/pathwatcher/lib/file.js:85:12) at KeymapManager.module.exports.KeymapManager.watchKeymap (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/atom-keymap/lib/keymap-manager.js:292:74) at KeymapManager.module.exports.KeymapManager.loadKeymap (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/atom-keymap/lib/keymap-manager.js:277:16) at KeymapManager.loadUserKeymap (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/src/keymap-extensions.js:37:19) at Atom.module.exports.Atom.startEditorWindow (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/src/atom.js:602:20) at Object. (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/src/window-bootstrap.js:12:8) at Object. (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/src/window-bootstrap.js:23:4) at Module._compile (module.js:468:26) at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:486:10) at Module.load (/usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/node_modules/coffee-script/lib/coffee-script/register.js:45:36) at Function.Module._load (module.js:318:12) at Module.require (module.js:373:17) at require (module.js:392:17) at window.onload (file:///usr/local/share/atom/resources/app/static/index.js:59:25) index.js:73window.onload

Can you try the instructions here and see if that fixes the issue?

Ah! Yes, that seemed to do the trick, thanks.

Next time I’ll check the GitHub Issues too, instead of just the Atom forums.