Electron/Java incompatibility?

We are getting a strange error message when we try to run a basic script using electron that includes the java package. Here is a terminal session that demonstrates the problem:

bash-4.2$ more package.json
{
  "name": "nava_node_test",
  "version": "1.0.0",
  "description": "",
  "main": "index.js",
  "scripts": {
    "test": "echo \"Error: no test specified\" && exit 1"
  },
  "author": "",
  "license": "ISC",
  "dependencies": {
    "electron": "^1.4.1",
    "java": "^0.7.2"
  }
}
bash-4.2$ more index.js 

console.log ("Hello World~~");
var java = require ('java');

bash-4.2$ node index.js 
Hello World~~
bash-4.2$ node_modules/electron/dist/electron index.js
Hello World~~
App threw an error during load
Error: Module version mismatch. Expected 50, got 48.
    at Error (native)
    at process.module.(anonymous function) [as dlopen] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:168:20)
    at Object.Module._extensions..node (module.js:583:18)
    at Object.module.(anonymous function) [as .node] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:168:20)
    at Module.load (module.js:473:32)
    at tryModuleLoad (module.js:432:12)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:424:3)
    at Module.require (module.js:483:17)
    at require (internal/module.js:20:19)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/u/fisher23/javaNodeTest/node_modules/java/lib/nodeJavaBridge.js:21:16)
A JavaScript error occurred in the main process
Uncaught Exception:
Error: Module version mismatch. Expected 50, got 48.
    at Error (native)
    at process.module.(anonymous function) [as dlopen] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:168:20)
    at Object.Module._extensions..node (module.js:583:18)
    at Object.module.(anonymous function) [as .node] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:168:20)
    at Module.load (module.js:473:32)
    at tryModuleLoad (module.js:432:12)
    at Function.Module._load (module.js:424:3)
    at Module.require (module.js:483:17)
    at require (internal/module.js:20:19)
    at Object.<anonymous> (/u/fisher23/javaNodeTest/node_modules/java/lib/nodeJavaBridge.js:21:16)

If I comment out the java require statement, it works fine. Any ideas why the java package works with node but not electron?

John

That Java bridge relies on a native Node addon/module, so it must be rebuilt to target Electron as documented in http://electron.atom.io/docs/tutorial/using-native-node-modules/

I followed the directions to “Installing modules and rebuilding for Electron”, but when I ran the electron-rebuild script after doing a successful “npm install”, I got the following error:

gyp ERR! clean error 
gyp ERR! stack Error: ENOTEMPTY: directory not empty, rmdir 'build/Release'
gyp ERR! stack     at Error (native)
gyp ERR! System Linux 3.10.0-327.36.1.el7.x86_64
gyp ERR! command "/opt/node-v6.7.0-linux-x64/bin/node" "/u/fisher23/javaNodeTest/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /u/fisher23/javaNodeTest/node_modules/nslog
gyp ERR! node -v v6.7.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.4.0
gyp ERR! not ok 

Look familiar to anyone?

Delete the node_modules directory and rerun npm install.

I tried that but got the same error result each time.

gyp ERR! stack Error: ENOTEMPTY: directory not empty, rmdir 'build/Release'

This tells you that the build/Release directory isn’t empty. Try removing that instead of node_modules.

I tried removing my node_modules and doing a “fresh start” multiple times, but always get the same error.

What’s interesting is that if I run electron-rebuild a second time, it then starts compiling, but then crashes on this error:

../src/javaObject.cpp:350:18: error: ‘class v8::Object’ has no member named ‘SetHiddenValue’
   javaObjectObj->SetHiddenValue(Nan::New<v8::String>(V8_HIDDEN_MARKER_JAVA_OBJECT).ToLocalChecked(), Nan::New<v8::Boolean>(true));
                  ^
make: *** [Release/obj.target/nodejavabridge_bindings/src/javaObject.o] Error 1
gyp ERR! build error 
gyp ERR! stack Error: `make` failed with exit code: 2
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.onExit (/u/fisher23/javaNodeTest/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/lib/build.js:276:23)
gyp ERR! stack     at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
gyp ERR! stack     at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:191:7)
gyp ERR! stack     at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:215:12)
gyp ERR! System Linux 3.10.0-327.36.1.el7.x86_64
gyp ERR! command "/opt/node-v6.7.0-linux-x64/bin/node" "/u/fisher23/javaNodeTest/node_modules/npm/node_modules/node-gyp/bin/node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd /u/fisher23/javaNodeTest/node_modules/java
gyp ERR! node -v v6.7.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.4.0
gyp ERR! not ok 

Any idea why? Argh, sure wish we could get this to work.

Ok, looks like the first error, (“ENOTEMPTY”) was happening because when I installed electron-rebuild, I used --save instead of --save-dev. Which I switched to --save-dev, I now get the Java compile error the first time. And, that appears to be a known issue, described here:

So, I’ll follow that thread, and hopefully there will be a resolution to this problem.

This happens because the SetHiddenValue API was removed in V8 5.2 (Electron 1.3.0 and later), I’ve fixed this issue in v8-profiler before, someone just needs to do the same with the Java bridge module.

What’s strange is that when I do the initial Java Bridge installation, it compiles just fine; it’s only when I do the electron-rebuild that I get this error.

That’s to be expected. When you first install it it’s compiled for
whichever version of Node you have installed, Node uses an older version of
V8 than Electron so everything compiles fine.

I tried to use the java module before with this project, if you get it to work even a simple project I would be very interested in seeing it and maybe getting some instructions if you’re so willing to share.

Thank you

I believe the root of the problem is being worked here:

I’ve got a fairly specific set of steps listed to reproduce the problem.