Electron Builder / SerialPort (Native)

I’m developing an Electron application that uses node-serialport, which is a native module. I have it working fine on my Ubuntu machine. However, I need to distribute this application to Windows computers. I’m having some trouble figuring out the right incantations to develop on Ubuntu 16.04, and then use electron-builder / electron-rebuild to generate an executable installer for Windows that builds and packages the node-serialport lib for Windows. Hoping someone here can help steer me in the right direction.

I have already tried putting node-serialport in my ./app/package.json and my ./package.json. I can build an executable installer for Windows no problem, but it’s clear to me that it’s bundling the node-serialport library built for linux because I’m getting console log errors in Windows that read something like: %1 is not a valid Win32 application, but this only happens when I attempt to invoke node-serialport. Do I have to actually build the application on a Windows machine to make this work?

Pretty much, yes. I’m no expert but to compile native modules for the OS you need them to work on you have to compile it on that OS. Plus, code-signing will only work on the correct OS too.

Hi Victor,

I found same issue with my electron app for serialport and I built it in windows 10. Could you please let me know if you found any solution for it?

Regards,
Shahib