Electron app update failed Mac App Store review - "exits with code 173" - "not verifying receipt correctly..."

Hi there. I successfully deployed the first version of my Electron app to the Mac App Store several weeks ago.

However, after submitting my first update yesterday, the app failed the review due to the following:

From Apple
2. 1 Performance: App Completeness (macOS)
Performance - 2.1

We noticed that with a valid receipt installed, your app quits on launch. The Console reports the app “Exited with exit code: 173” and the OS states the app “is damaged and can’t be opened.” This generally indicates that the app is not verifying its receipt correctly.

Next Steps

Please revise your app and test it to ensure that it runs as expected. For more information on using receipt validations, you may want to review the Receipt Validation Programming Guide.

If you are unable to reproduce this issue, ensure you are testing the exact version of the app that you submitted for review, and that you’re doing so in a minimally privileged environment. See Technical Q&A QA1778: How to reproduce bugs reported against Mac App Store submissions.

For information on how to symbolicate and read a crash log, please see Technical Note TN2123 - CrashReporter.

I created the app using electron-packager using the same commands as I did to create the inital version of the app (which passed App Store review). These are the commands I used to create the package for the store:

Build for Mac App Store:

electron-packager . Fudget --electron-version 1.4.15 --platform=mas --out ./dist --no-prune --overwrite --icon=./icons/icon.icns --app-bundle-id=com.dannyconnell.fudget.desktop --helper-bundle-id=com.dannyconnell.fudget.desktop.helper --app-version=1.6.2 --build-version=1.6.103

Sign the app:

electron-osx-sign \"dist/Fudget-mas-x64/Fudget.app\" --entitlements=\"default.entitlements.mas.plist\" --verbose

Package the app:

electron-osx-flat \"dist/Fudget-mas-x64/Fudget.app\" --verbose

I’ve search around but can’t find anyone else who has reported this issue. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? As I mentioned, the initial version was approved and added to the store without issues. This has only happened after submitting my first update.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Any examples of Electron apps in the Mac App Store? Post em here!

Did you find the cause of this or a work around - am facing exactly the same issue]