Drag and Drop DOM elements between between multiple electron windows. possible?

Hi there. I’m new to electron and I’m already in love :wink:
But here is one thing I spent 1day+ trying to solve but got stuck:

Is it possible to implement drag and drop operations between multiple electron windows?

I am building a visual HTML editor. I want to have a native “library” window and another “page” window. No I want to drag items from one window to the other.

What would be the best solution for that?

Thanks in advance and happy coding,
Simon

Hi Simon,

It is possible. I’ve done this for my dockable window framework. What I have done is, when drag-start, sending an ipc message to all windows. and when drag-end or drag-accepted, sending another ipc message.

Thanks jwu.
I finally got it working. Native HTML5 Drag and Drop in combination with IPC messaging was the solution.
I’m really LOVIN’ electron!
Happy Coding,
–Simon

I’d really like to implement this. Any sample code you can share?

I didn’t write an example for this (I think I will), but you can check how I implement this in here: https://github.com/cocos-creator/editor-framework/blob/master/lib/renderer/ui/utils/dock-utils.js#L63, basically this code let allow me drag a window to another window so that it can dock the window back to the main window (just like what Visual Studio’s panel system). So when drag start, I have to broadcast IPC message to all the other window to make them prepare for it.

Please please please write an example for this. Would be amazing!
Did I say please? Please :slight_smile: