Download and install Atom on a MacBook Pro

After downloading atom on to my mac, I cannot open atom. I get an error message; “Atom” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information"

1 Like

Same here. Perhaps a new issue? I am on MBP early 2015 MacOS Catalina 10.15.1.

If you’ve copied it to the Applications folder, then you can right-click it and select Open. One of the choices in the dialog will be to launch the application. When you do that, you’re whitelisting it to be run in spite of the inability to check it.

11 Likes

Same issue as well.

This worked for me, thank you @leedohm.!! :smiley:

1 Like

Another way to solve this problem is to go to system preferences, then go to security and privacy, then go to general there should be a message saying some thing like “atom cannot be opened because it’s not from an identified developer”. Next to that message, there should be a button that says “open anyway”. Click on it to open atom.

Do you know why this occurs. Has something changed in the application the introduces a risk, or is this more due to the upgrade to Catalina?

This is a change in how Catalina treats applications by creating a new requirement for notarization, essentially requiring developers to register their applications with Apple even if they don’t put the application in the Mac App Store.

So no, nothing has changed in the application itself until we finish the work to meet Apple’s new notarization/registration requirement that will make the message go away.

this work perfectly… Thank you :slight_smile:

Thank you!

it worked like a charm, Gracias!

Thanks! This worked for me! :slight_smile:

Another solution is to remove the quarantine extended file attribute from the Atom.app application folder and its contents:
Drag the app to Applications folder
Open a command prompt (Terminal)
cd /Applications
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine Atom.app