Does flash really work now?

Seems others have posted similar flash issues here before but no one has ever come back and confirmed that flash does indeed work with Electron and that their specific problem was resolved.

Is there any one here that has been able to embed a flash into this application?

If not I suspect the problem is unresolved and systemic.

Following along with “https://github.com/atom/electron/blob/master/docs/tutorial/using-pepper-flash-plugin.md

1. I am using Windows 7 x64.
  2. I copied the pepper flash plugin to my folder where the index.html and main.js is and to where the electron.exe is. Same for my swf file.

The app runs but doesn’t show the flash movie. It only shows “Hello World” If I click around in the window it show “plugin not loaded”

My code is: (I don’t know the trick to keep HTML suppression from happening, so my html tags are fubar.)

index.html

html>
head>
title>My First Electron Application
/head>
body>
Hello World
webview src=“http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/” plugins>
div>
object width=“800” height=“600”>
param name=“movie” value="./out.swf">
embed src="./out.swf" width=“800” height=“600”>
/embed>
/object>
/div>
/body>

main.js

var app = require(‘app’); // Module to control application life.
var BrowserWindow = require(‘browser-window’); // Module to create native browser window.

// Report crashes to our server.
require(‘crash-reporter’).start();

// Keep a global reference of the window object, if you don’t, the window will
// be closed automatically when the JavaScript object is garbage collected.
var mainWindow = null;

// Specify flash path.
// On Windows, it might be /path/to/pepflashplayer.dll
// On Mac, /path/to/PepperFlashPlayer.plugin
// On Linux, /path/to/libpepflashplayer.so
app.commandLine.appendSwitch(‘ppapi-flash-path’, ‘./pepflashplayer.dll’);

// Specify flash version, for example, v17.0.0.169
app.commandLine.appendSwitch(‘ppapi-flash-version’, ‘19.0.0.226’);

app.on(‘ready’, function() {
mainWindow = new BrowserWindow({
‘width’: 800,
‘height’: 600,
‘web-preferences’: {
‘plugins’: true
}
});
mainWindow.loadUrl(‘file://’ + __dirname + ‘/index.html’);
// Something else
});

// Quit when all windows are closed.
app.on(‘window-all-closed’, function() {
// On OS X it is common for applications and their menu bar
// to stay active until the user quits explicitly with Cmd + Q
if (process.platform != ‘darwin’) {
app.quit();
}

Using flash inside my electron app

Answering my own question for others that might have similar issue.

1. Flash does indeed work with this.
    2, My issue was that I was using the x64 version of Electron and then a 32 bit version of Pepper Flash plugin, my Chrome is 32 bit.
  2. The tutorial section on “Using Pepper Flash Plugin” is best done AFTER trying the Pepper Flash sample app. The only thing you need to do in the sample app is add the Pepper Flash dll in the root of the app then set it’s version number in your JS. If everything is config good then you get a Adobe web page showing your flash version. So if there was a problem it would show “plugin not loaded”.

Kill Flash with fire, quickly.
#mosthelpfulcommentever

While it can be argued that Flash is dead or dying, I happen to have 15 years worth of Flash application assets that are still in demand and Electron gives them a good home.

@mgparrish I don’t see your webview close tag. Is the object inside the webview?

And I’m missing something fundamental here about how webview works with object. Your webview src is the Adobe “About” page - shouldn’t it be something about your out.swf?

The page is https://github.com/atom/electron/blob/master/docs/tutorial/using-pepper-flash-plugin.md

This editor fubars tags, I guess a trick to paste code the tags are OK, I think it just shows here FUBAR

How do I even do this? I am trying to use it with the documented way to do it on Linux but get errors.

Have you tried this?

http://electron.atom.io/docs/tutorial/using-pepper-flash-plugin/