Documentation; "browser" vs. "client"; Confusion?

I have been reading through the documentation on atom-shell to determine whether it is the right tool for my project over other similar…I don’t even know what to label these things as, environments?

I have stumbled upon the “browser” vs. “client” terminology when describing the “where code lives” concept, so to speak. I find it generally confusing, given that both “browser” and “client” describe the same thing in typical web-based development; the browser IS the client. Thus, I am not confident that I grok this.

As far as I can tell, the “browser” in this case is basically “node.js” and the “client” in this case is what we typically would call the “browser”. Is the correct? Is JavaScript included in HTML via script elements all considered “client” code? Is all other JavaScript (i.e. the entry point and any scripts included via node’s require function) considered “browser” code? Is there any overlap?

I just want to nail down my terminology and be sure I understand what I am reading fully before diving deeper into atom-shell. From what I’ve seen so far, I am leaning toward atom-shell over node-webkit; but murky documentation on all ends makes things difficult.

Thanks!

My interpretation was that the browser was the browser. Chromium in this case I believe. Chromium has lots of non-client stuff internally. Event loops, filesystem access, window managing, etc… This is the browser.

The client is the JS/HTML/CSS/etc. stuff you are used to in web development. With some extra bindings.