Distribution chapter: what do you mean with "electron/resources"? where is that path on Linux?

Im reading this: http://electron.atom.io/docs/v0.35.0/tutorial/application-distribution/ but I don’t know where is electron/resources … any help?

I’m on Linux.

Application Distribution question

The strings electron/sources and electron sources do not appear in the page you linked. Can you be more specific in what information you’re looking for or what question you need answered?

@leedohm sorry, I meant “electron/resources”, they appear like this:

On Windows and Linux:
electron/resources/app
├── package.json
├── main.js
└── index.html

I have just created my first project using the steps at the bottom of this page: http://electron.atom.io/docs/v0.35.0/tutorial/quick-start/

That’s the directory structure that an Electron application requires when installing it.

• electron is the top-level directory containing your application (it doesn’t have to be called electron to my knowledge)
  • resources is the first directory underneath it
  • app is a directory under resources and contains the three files (among theoretically many others) you see there

Presumably the Electron executable is inside the electron directory.

@leedohm thanks but Im stil confused… My steps are:

# Clone the repository
$ git clone https://github.com/atom/electron-quick-start
# Go into the repository
$ cd electron-quick-start
# Install dependencies and run the app
$ npm install && npm start 

what should I do exactly after that to get a .exe? should I create the electron-quick-start/resources and then electron-quick-start/resources/app and then copy electron-quick-start/package.json & electron-quick-start/main.js & electron-quick-start/index.html to electron-quick-start/resources/app ?

The distribution chapter is for much later when you’ve created and tested your Electron app and you’re ready to send it to other users. You don’t need to be reading it right now.

The npm install portion of the third step in the list you posted is what “creates” the electron executable for you. (It doesn’t actually create it, it downloads it as part of electron-prebuilt mentioned in the Quick Start guide that is linked to by the electron-quick-start README.)

You might want to check out electron-packager.

@leedohm even if the application is very simple, I would like to create a .exe to see what is the result.

I think @tirengarfio is right: for a new user trying to get started it may feel like something is missing and some additional instructions should be provided.

In fact, the Application Distribution Tutorial makes more sense if you installed the prebuilt binary, i.e. you have installed Electron as a “regular” app for your OS.

For instance, on a Mac OS X you have to go to Applications, explore the content of Electron.app and head to the Contents/Resources subfolder. Move (or copy) the folder containing your Electron app there, then change its name to app. This way, when you start Electron, it will show your app instead of the default one.

If you installed the electron-prebuilt module globally with npm, you can run electron without arguments and the default Electron app will show up, telling you where to find Electron.app on your system.