Disk Space Used Up

Wanting to see if anyone else has this issue. I am running OSX 10.8.5 and atom .99, however its been happening for quite a few releases now. I have ~10GB of space left on disk. If I leave atom running and shut my lid, walk away for X hours, and come back my disk space is gone or down to about 200MB and OSX is wigging out.

I restart and all my disk space is restored. I thought maybe it was another app or something else, but I tested it out leaving only atom running and the same issue occurred. Perhaps there is a configuration I can set in atom to put a top usage on caching or something? Or maybe I am the only one with this issue, or only noticing because my free disk space is pretty low in general.

I’ve got about 138GiB free on my smallest drive, so I don’t think I’m the best candidate to test this one out. I’ve generally found though that any time I get down to under 10GiB of disk space, bad things start to happen.

Does anyone know of a way on OS X to tell which files are currently opened by which processes?

sudo lsof should do the trick. sudo lsof | grep Atom for atom-related files

EDIT: Actually, the sudo can be omitted I think ^^