Discovering package defaults (slim and whitespace)

Hi,

earlier today I ran git show on the project I’m working on and, to my horror, found out I had committed a trailing space in a slim file. Luckily I hadn’t pushed yet.

I checked and rechecked my config.cson, the configuration for whitespace and the configuration for slim, without result.

Finally I went on github, searched whitespace repo for slim and slim repo for whitespace. The latter showed that slim package is in fact telling whitespace to disable removeTrailingWhitespace.

Now I wonder how many other such surprises await me.

Is there a way to find out apart from checking the source code of each installed package? I don’t seem to be able to find any references of this setting from within Atom itself. Am I missing something?

I’d ask on that package repo.
If both package modify the file on save it’s very possible it was done to avoid a conflict.

It’s a matter of trust and least surprise such thing should be documented on the package information page.

Sure, but I was thinking of something at a higher level, starting from: how can I see packages’ configuration? Is browsing the source the only way?

You can see a package’s configuration by:

1. Launch Atom
  2. Open Settings View using Cmd+, on OS X or Ctrl+, on other platforms
  3. Click the Packages tab on the left
  4. Search for the package you want
  5. Click the Settings button

But this will only tell you what the package has intended to make configurable. It won’t help if the package just has some code to do something and doesn’t expose it via configuration.

Yeah but here you tell us package A modify package B configuration programatically.
So that basically escape the normal way of managing packages settings.

BTW there’s no package on atom.io that is called exaclty ‘Slim’ and there’s a few something-slim. So it’s hard to give anything but vague generic answer.

Yes, sorry, the package name is language-slim.

BTW here’s a bit of discutions on why this setting was changed

also this particular setting is scoped to slim language only.

OK, I’ve reread the thread and I see that I wasn’t clear at all. I’m not complaining about language-slim or whitespace behaviour, but about packages (and therefore my Atom installation as a whole) having “hidden” default configuration.

I’m asking for a single menu item that shows all default config, maybe grouped by package, or by scope, or completely expanded—I don’t know, but I do know I’d like to see default configuration.