Disable Tree View From Opening When Changing Focus on Split Screen Tabs

Is there a way to disable the Tree View of the project from Unhiding when choosing between active tabs? As it is, when I close the tree view and have split screen enabled with two files open, when I switch focus between them by select one or the other with the mouse, the tree view is automatically opened back up. Anyway to switch this off?

Could you fill in some more detail, please.
A picture would be nice.

I have no such issue when focussing from one tab to the next.

As a fall back… you could select the project folder and select Remove Project Folder.

This is what I’m talking about, the tree view opens up each time I select a new tab (when not in split screen mode) or when I focus between tabs in split screen mode (doesn’t matter).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wrxkmvdq8veeh0/Atom%20Tree%20View%20Open.mov?dl=0

Sorry about this^, dropbox public links don’t like to work now as embedded videos, so you have to actually visit the link.

I wasn’t able to replicate that, until I went to the settings (Settings -> Packages -> tree-view) and checked the box that promised to reveal the file in the tree view whenever the active file changed. Then it behaved exactly like you see. I would assume that you just need to uncheck that setting.

This worked! Excellent. Thanks again DS. Once again, just a simple setting in a package. This was the posted at the same time as my question yesterday, before I did a much looking around package settings, so now I just need to start looking into package settings more before I jump over here and post. Thanks again.

As it is, Atom is finally starting to feel like it should to me after adjusting some of these settings, autocomplete after 1 character, tree view remaining closed, etc. Feels good to have an editor that is so heavily customizable.

I think it doesn’t make a whole lot of intuitive sense that features like tree-view and find-and-replace can be completely unplugged from the editor. Those seem like pretty integral features, and they are in a lot of programs. But once I adjusted my expectations to match what the dev team planned, I saw exactly why those essential features were built to be modular.

I program as a hobby and dabble in a bunch of different things, and what I love about Atom is that it can support all languages equally well and if I want to design an experience for a specific project or language, I can do so.

Since you seem to be a power user, you should check out process-palette. It lets you customize shell commands and bind them to commands within Atom so you can connect them to keybindings or toolbar buttons or run them with atom.commands.dispatch().

Right, yeah I was looking in the editor and core settings for those things because they felt like core features to me, but I’m starting to see how this is all interacting and laid out. I’ve had Atom for over a year now, but never did this much digging or tampering with settings. Is is an extremely cool experience once you start tweaking it to your liking and start adding functionality (via packages) that you never had before and only really dreamt about.

Nice tip with the process-palette, I could use that compile and run applications I suppose, running makefiles or triggering Xcode to compile, etc.

I’m longing for the day that the new IDE features get fixed and eventually become more powerful. It would be great to be able to use Atom as a full-blown IDE with compiling and debugging facilities, all accessible through the GUI. I know you can download a ton of 3rd party packages now that sort of get the job done, but with the new IDE UIs and IDE language support being created by GitHub and Facebook, I’m hoping they really nail it in a way that feels completely seamless.

This will be the day for me. It will be a day where Atom can be a super lightweight application with no extra packages, fit for the minimalist web dev, or it can be entirely customized with IDE functionality and tons of extra packages for the overly-excessive native app dev.