Disable atom from opening files when clicking on a folder in Desktop

Is there any way to disable the behavior of Atom opening up the clicked folder automatically in the IDE.Every double click opens the respective folder in Atom :frowning:
I might be just searching for the presence of a file, or i might be just having an overlook of the structure, but the folder as such keeps opening up even if it contains a pdf or word doc. Its highly frustrating and i couldnt get any workarounds from the net.

I want to work with Atom, but this is a huge turn off as well due to which i had uninstalled before.

I only want to open the file or folder by selecting them manually. Not Atom just opening them up for me automatically on single click of the Folder in the desktop.

Any help or pointer would be great

Thanks,
Hari

Atom works on projects not files. And a project is any folder. I can’t think of anything that would make sense other than what you are seeing.

BTW, Atom opens many file types. It might even open PDF files with some package added.

Can you be more specific in what steps you’re taking and what is happening? Have you followed the suggestions in the Debugging document? Also, could you give the following information?

• Which version of Atom are you using?
  • What OS and version are you running?
  • Can you reproduce the issue after completely exiting Atom and restarting using atom --safe?

@mark_hahn, the problem was i cannot even double click any folder in my desktop as the same was opening up the folder in Atom.

@leedohm, I had just downloaded the very latest yesterday, and my OS is Windows 8 64 Bit.
I managed to get a workaround from one of the blogs that, i created a reg file and pasted the following. It took out the Open with atom menu option. This seem to work as I am able to double click and open the folders i want without it being opened up in Atom automatically.

; Removes 'Open in Atom' from the context menu.

; windows-context-menu
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Open File in Atom]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Open Folder in Atom]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Open Folder in Atom]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\LibraryFolder\Background\shell\Open Folder in Atom]

; Chocolatey
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Atom]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\Atom]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Atom]