Detect Electron or Web page running?

Sorry this seams like a very basic question - but I just cannot find an answer!

In the script code in the render window is there an easy way to determine if the app in running in a web page or in Electron?

Pretty much just check whether require exists and a window variable exists. To be extra safe, you could also try...catch requiring 'electron':

function isElectron() {
  if (typeof require !== 'function') return false;
  if (typeof window !== 'object') return false;
  try {
    const electron = require('electron');
    if (typeof electron !== 'object') return false;
  } catch(e) {
    return false;
  }
  return true;
}

Here’s another alternative:

function isElectron() {
  return process && process.versions && (process.versions.electron !== undefined);
}

@facekapow
Thanks function returned correct answer both in Electron and web page.

@enlight
Thanks function returned correct answer in electron but returned error (process is not defined) in web page - but easy to correct with a try catch.

Which browser are you using?

Seems like something that should work fine, so it’d be good to know where it’s going wrong.

@caffiend

The have only checked it using Chrome but the two solutions provided answered the question!

You’re not wrong! That’s good to know, anyway.

This should make enlight’s answer work in any browser

function isElectron() { return (typeof process !== "undefined") && process.versions && (process.versions.electron !== undefined); }

Sorry about formatting but the key is that if an identifiers is undefined you need to use “typeof” to safely check it’s existence.

Thanks @etraub I am using that checking system now.

I an trying to maintain one code base which will work for both systems - webpages and Electron - but it is hard not to resist branching off in Electron to take advantage of other features!

The way I check for Electron (my app is a Cordova/Electron app, rather than a Web/Electron app), is that I set a global variable from the main.js file, and then I can just check for it in the app: mainWindow.webContents.executeJavaScript("window.electronFlag=true;")

@caffiend

My next step is to take my Electron app and use Cordova so that it will run on Android - I have been told take this is very easy but I have not found any examples - could you possibly detail your experience of using Electron with Cordova.

It’s easy.

The major difference is using Cordova plugins rather than Node modules to achieve non-web functionality. So I have a JS file that gives me some helper methods for writing files, etc, that behave the same but use the relevant plugin/module for the right platform.

where we want to add this function.

Doing it that way, you want to do it from your main process, mainWindow refers to whichever window you need to tell is Electron. You’ll want to do it after you’ve loaded the URL of the page.

Then from within your webpage, your JS should be able to see window.electronFlag.