Ctrl+ tab to switch between tabs like in any other editor

[I saw many issues like that around, but didn’t find one that describe what I;m looking for exactly. If you know about one, please link to it and I will close my issue.]

this is the one piece of functionality the is really missing for me in atom the it is the one thing that keep it from becoming my go-to editor :smile:

In most editors/IDEs the behavior of switching between tabs is:

• pressing ctrl + tab the first time -->
  • a switcher window is shown with a list of opened tabs
  • you can toggle between the tabs in the list by holding the ctrl key and pressing the tab key again and again
  • the window stays open as long as you are holding the ctrl key
  • when you leave the ctrl key, the tab you are on in the list is shown
  • pressing `ctrl+shift+tab gives the same functionality the you toggle between the tabs in reverse

is there any package you know or any way to implement the same functionality in atom?

thanks.

enhanced-tabs implements tab switching with Ctrl-Tab. I don’t know if it covers all your points though.

Edit: seems I was slow, the package mentioned in the previous post is probably better suited. Leaving my post here in case anyone finds it useful.

Quickly put a minimal example together, probably much better suited as a package, but hopefully it can help you get started:

Put the following in your init.coffee:

{SelectListView} = require 'atom'

class TabView extends SelectListView

initialize: ->
    super
    @addClass 'overlay from-top'
    @setItems atom.workspace.getPaneItems()

getFilterKey: ->
    'name'

viewForItem: (tab) ->
    element = document.createElement 'li'
    element.textContent = "#{tab.getTitle()}"
    element

cancelled: ->
    @panel?.destroy()

confirmed: (tab) ->
    atom.workspace.getActivePane().activateItemAtIndex (index for item, index in @items when item.getTitle() == tab.getTitle())[0]
    @cancel()

attach: ->
    @panel ?= atom.workspace.addModalPanel(item: this)
    @focusFilterEditor()

atom.commands.add 'atom-text-editor',
  'tabview:show', ->
    new TabView().attach()

Bind tabview:show to your favorite hotkey, or access it via the command palette.

Very minimal and obviously lacking some features you’d like, but I hope it gives you a starting point. You may want to create a custom view instead of the SelectListView. Could possibly provide a preview by rendering the file like the Minimap package does?

wow! this does exactly what I need!
thanks a-lot, and respect for for @js-padavan this amazing package!

thanks for posting the solution.
I’m going with enhanced-tabs for now though :smile: