Could not call remote function

Hello, a few days ago I started to learn about electron and I started to make a small project to test the things around.

The idea is simple, after the main window opens there is an input field and a button, you enter something and then after you press the button it opens a link in a new window

Here is the code

index.js

const remote = require('electron').remote
   const main = remote.require('./main.js')

window.onload = function() {
    var myButton = document.getElementById('buttonPIP')

myButton.addEventListener('click', () => {
        main.openWindow()
    }, false)
}

main.js

const electron = require('electron')
const {BrowserWindow, app} = electron

let mainWindow = null;

app.on('ready', function() {

mainWindow = new BrowserWindow({width: 800, height: 800})
  mainWindow.loadURL('file://' + __dirname + '/index.html')

mainWindow.on('closed', function() {
    mainWindow = null
  });

});

exports.openWindow = () => {
  let win = new BrowserWindow({width: 400,
    height: 300,
    parent: mainWindow,
    center: true,
    alwaysOnTop: true,
    title: "Player"
    })
  var link = 'http://player.twitch.tv/?volume=0.20&channel=' + document.getElementById('streamName').value
  win.loadURL(link)
}

So my problem is that after I press the button a new blank opens with the right window title but it wont redirect to any page. I looked into devtool console and this is the error that shows up

Uncaught Error: Could not call remote function ''. Check that the function signature is correct. Underlying error: document is not defined
Error: Could not call remote function ''. Check that the function signature is correct. Underlying error: document is not defined
    at callFunction (/home/crisfast/Desktop/Twitch PIP/node_modules/electron/dist/resources/electron.asar/browser/rpc-server.js:235:11)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (/home/crisfast/Desktop/Twitch PIP/node_modules/electron/dist/resources/electron.asar/browser/rpc-server.js:342:5)
    at emitMany (events.js:127:13)
    at EventEmitter.emit (events.js:201:7)
    at WebContents.<anonymous> (/home/crisfast/Desktop/Twitch PIP/node_modules/electron/dist/resources/electron.asar/browser/api/web-contents.js:231:13)
    at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
    at WebContents.emit (events.js:191:7)

I looked up for solutions but didn’t found something that would help me, also I mention that i use electron 1.4.15 and Ubuntu 16.04.

Thank you for your help! :slight_smile:

The issue is that document is undefined in main.js because all the code in main.js runs in the main process which has no DOM. You need to pass the link URL from the renderer process to the main process using IPC.

Thank you very much, i finally solved it with IPC. I didn’t know that in main procces you can’t use DOM, so I think there was my mistake. Have a nice day @enlight!