"Correct" way of programmatically changing theme?

I’m authoring specs that involve changing themes to test motif-sensitive enhancements. Currently, I’m doing this:

Promise.all([
	atom.packages.activatePackage "atom-light-ui"
	atom.packages.activatePackage "atom-light-syntax"
]).then ->
	{body}         = document
	themeClasses   = /(?:^|\s+)theme-.+-(?:ui|syntax)\b/g
	className      = body.className.replace themeClasses, ""
	body.className = className + " theme-#{name}-ui theme-#{name}-syntax"
	atom.themes.emitter.emit "did-change-active-themes"

Which is working most of the time. Sometimes the wrong theme is activated, which leads me to believe I’m doing this wrong (note: atom.themes.activateThemes doesn’t appear to do anything when I run it in devtools).

I think your code is lacking the change in the config object:

atom.config.set('core.themes', ['atom-light-ui', 'atom-light-syntax'])

Activating a theme doesn’t automatically make it the current theme.

How does activating a theme differ from activating the theme’s package?

Hmm, interesting, I made a few more tests to make sure I wasn’t saying BS here.

So:

Activating a theme package seems to properly enable the theme, ex. running atom.packages.activatePackage('test-syntax') in the console will properly modify the theme of active editors.

But:

• The corresponding setting isn’t updated. So the change won’t be persisted. And UI themes like one-dark won’t update their stylesheet (which is derived from the syntax theme).
  • If I try to activate another theme package after that, the change isn’t effective. Like if there could be only one active theme at once.

Here’s a gif that demonstrates the issue:

If I try to activate another theme package after that, the change isn’t effective. Like if there could be only one active theme at once

Aye, one of the things I noted was a weird “stickiness” after changing a theme. Possibly the theme has to be disabled before switching to another?

Edit: Had a suggestion but nvm. Abe’s config.set seems to be all one would need. That said, not sure why activatePackage doesn’t work.

That’s what I concluded, looking at the settings view code I found that it’s the only operation that is performed by the view when you pick a theme from the selects. I guess there’s a listener somewhere that take care of disabling and activating the package based on your preferences.

Okay, weird… the callback passed to atom.themes.onDidChangeActiveThemes isn’t firing when I change themes with atom.config.set …. Bear in mind it works fine in the devtools, just not in spec mode. :S

The specs are here if you’d like a look.

@Alhadis I tried cloning the repo and running the specs in v2 branch, but I fear I’m missing something out because it seems I’m not running the specs using the custom test runner specified in the package.json (it runs with jasmine and not mocha+chai which obviously won’t work). Any clue?

@Abe You won’t be able to run the repo until the Atom team finally merge several important pull requests. These address shortcomings in the File-Icons API that need to be fixed before v2 can be released.

(No idea why it’s taking so excruciatingly long, but it’s straining my patience)

You’ll also need to run apm install and restart Atom before the custom test-runner can be used.

And by “restart”, I actually mean quit and reopen the entire program. Reloading the workspace’s window won’t work because Atom caches package.json files at startup. I learned that the hard way, heh.

ANYWAY. I managed to work around the issue. =) There was a race condition with refreshing the icon tree that I resolved by adding a proper callback, rather than delaying execution by an arbitrary amount of time. So, all’s good! For now.